Subscribe

Forum

International Job Search

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

International Job Search

Postby Sarita » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:22 pm

What is the best way to go about it ? If I am looking for Pharma/Biotech companies in Singapore while I am finishing up my PhD in the US, how does the whole thing work ? Is it possible for me to send my resume to say, the US branch with a preference for Singapore location ?

Thanks
Sarita

International Job Search

Postby Bill L. » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:56 pm

Hi Sarita,

You might want to visit Contact Singapore, which often recruits individuals just like you who are seeking to relocate in biotech/pharma industries in Singapore. Their website:

http://www.contactsingapore.org.sg/indexnoflash.shtml

Be well,

Bill L. & Naledi S.
Bill L.

International Job Search

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:13 pm

Hi Sarita,

I have personally had very little success with corporate headquarters knowing much, if anything, about what is going on out in the branch locations. The best way to manage your search is to do what you suggest, but ALSO find those company locations and try and get the name of a person there to write as well. For example, Pfizer is building a new operation in Singapore, and in addition to sending a resume to Groton CT referencing that location, you do some networking to get a few contact names in .sg land and send them applications directly. My guess: you'll get a lot more action from direct contacts in the countries you are interested in.

Contact Singapore has a number of smaller biotech clients also, and not just the multinationals. Those would be hard to find on your own.

(PS - let me put in a good word for staying in the States. We could use you right here!)

regards,

Dave Jensen, Moderator
CareerTrax Inc.
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

International Job Search

Postby Val » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:34 pm

In 1998-99, soon after finishing a PhD with breakthrough achievements in microelectronics, I was looking for a job in Singapore. I thought I would have no problem in getting a job, as they had a large booming microelectronics industry and education was highly respected unlike in Australia. I placed my resume through www.contactsingapore.org.sg. I directly answered the job ads in "The Straights Times", placed by fabs, research institutes and universities. However, I never heard back from them. I slowly came to the realisation (later backed up by a local) that it was a "crony" capitalism in there, and no-one would hire you if they did not know you, or if you were not recommended by someone to whom they owed a favour. So I contacted the former graduate of my PhD advisor, who became a professor at a Singaporean university. He recommended me the names of some microelectronics companies to approach. The HR person from a company contacted me back, but eventually their interest died.

In 2001-02 I again tried to find a job in Singapore. Among other things, I found a job ad at my alma mater uni careers centre from a Singaporean company manager. He got interested in my resume, and invited me for an interview. However, later he said due to acquisition of their company, they could no longer afford to hire me. Later I went to Singapore on my own, and dropped in to them for a chat. He did not need my services. I also found a "rich" prof at a Singaporean university who liked my resume and was talking about employing me as a postdoc, though he never offered it to me. I asked him to be my "host" in my application for a postdoctoral fellowship from the Singaporean government... he was not focussed enough to write the supporting letter... I did not get the fellowship. That was the end of my saga to find a job in Singapore.

Regards,
Val

Val

International Job Search

Postby Dave Jensen » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:44 pm

Val,

Great post, thanks. Shows the perseverence it takes to manage your way through a job search.

Singapore seems to me to be very "up and down" in what is hot, and what is not. Currently, they are really trying to attract certain parts of the life sciences (and it is really very specific . . . stem cell research, for example, but not certain other biologists). The government there seems to have decided that it would compete regionally with Victoria and other Aussie biotech locales, and start knocking off some USA centers as well.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
CareerTrax Inc.
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

International Job Search

Postby Sarita » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:26 pm

Hi All

Thanks a lot for your replies and views. As of now Singapore seems to be one of the choices for my husband and I to settle down together in one place, considering our career fields that are poles apart. I will keep the forum posted on my international job search \\\'ups and downs\\\' in the hope that someone with a similar predicament will benefit from it.

Thanks again
Sarita
Sarita

Return to Science Careers Forum