Subscribe

Forum

How do I get employers to notice me

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Reema » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:06 pm

I have 3 years of microarray experience, primarily in microarray fabrication along with a M.S in molecular and cell biology. I have been looking for jobs for a while but due to my narrow field of experience I am having a difficult time. I would like to continue working in this field but would like to explore either clinical research or bioinformatics. Since I am lacking work related experience, how can I get employers to notice me. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Reema
Reema

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:37 am

Hi Reema! Thanks for joining our discussion. Please tell your colleagues about this site, as the numbers really need to increase here in order to make this effort worthwhile. We believe this service is totally unique.

I'm a bit confused by your message. You indicated that you have three years of microarray experience, along with a great degree. After I called a friend of mine this AM to confirm, I've got to tell you that the whole field of microarray is exploding right now. The Society for Biomolecular Screening meeting is always jam-packed with companies and attendees discussing the latest happenings in the world of microarrays and instrumentation. See their website at SBS ONLINE.

My friend, a Director of Marketing in a major microarray company, believes that the future holds great promise, and to change into something like bioinformatics could be a big mistake. (Bioinformatics has had far too many people looking for jobs, bringing down salaries and in general clogging the job market). Certainly clinical research is a good area, but why toss aside your microarray experience?

Could it be that you live in a part of the country that doesn't have any microarray employers? Living in Boston or San Francisco would certainly solve that problem, but this may not be possible for you.

Anyway, back to your question of how to get employers to notice you . . . If you are sticking to the "tried and true" approach of sticking a resume in the mail to companies, get out of that mode right away. There are very few things you can do to get noticed via a resume mailing campaign. Sure, you coud use mauve paper for your resume, and you'd stand out, but you'd really risk looking unprofessional. So -- the secret to success boils down to finding SOMEONE ELSE to represent you, and I don't mean a headhunter.

You'll need to develop someone on the inside of a company to present you to HR. For doing this, many companies (most of them) offer their people a bonus of $500 to $3000. So, your networking contacts will have a chance to earn something off the referral to their HR department if you are hired. In short, just get out there and start talking to people. If you've got three years of experience and a good degree in a hot field, you shouldn't have any problem. That is, unless you are a bit "shy" and afraid to make those networking contacts . . .

Dave Jensen, Moderator
CareerTrax Inc.
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum