Subscribe

Forum

CV or Resume

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

CV or Resume

Postby Nik » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:43 pm

I am a 4th year post-doc in innate immunity/microbiology that is starting a search for a research job outside academia. I have a 2 page CV - and was wondering if it is appropriate to submit a CV for a position that asks for a resume.
Nik

CV or Resume

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:15 pm

Nik,

Yes, when an employer says in their ad \"submit resume to box 222\" they are intending for you to send either a resume style document or a CV, whichever you believe to be most appropriate for the position at hand. For a research job, that\'s generally a CV.

For many jobs in industry (if that is your target) you\'d be doing yourself a disservice if your CV wasn\'t changed a bit from the old-style academic document (you know, the ones with the names of your children and your social security #, etc). An industry CV will generally have more emphasis on accomplishments, skills and techniques, etc. Full address and contact information at the top is critical, including home phone.

Don\'t forget . . . write a good cover letter as well. Those are read, but your CV will be \"skimmed.\"

Dave Jensen, Moderator
CareerTrax Inc.
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

When I should begin to apply for a job

Postby David » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:23 pm

I am a final year PhD student in Molecular Biology. Expected that I could graduate in next October.I want to get a post doctoaral position in a University or NIH or other research institute in USA. But I don't know when I could apply and how I could do it? I means I should contact professors directly or apply by ads? Wish you could help me! Many thanks!
David

Postby Andy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:28 pm

David,

Don't apply for a postdoctoral position through advertisements. The best labs don't advertise anyway. Just find a professor that you want to work with and contact them directly. Preferably by telephone.

Good luck,

Andy
Andy

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:45 pm

Hi,

I think Andy's advice (as usual) is right on target. I've heard that the best professors are very well-networked, and when they have an open postdoc position they only have to make a few calls and they get applicants. Of course, apply to ads that fit you. But, be particularly good at research . . . find those labs and special people who fit your goals perfectly. Are you heading to industry or academia? If industry, do they have a great connection to the trade -- are they on SAB's (Scientific Advisory Boards) or are they consultants to companies? Etc.

And then, like Andy said, pick up the phone and be prepared to tell them about your work when you call. Good luck!

Dave Jensen, Moderator
CareerTrax Inc.
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum