Subscribe

Forum

Time line for interview/screening process

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Mark » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:23 pm

I'm been in the process of interviewing for a Senior Scientist position at J&J and it's taking a long time for the process. From the time I was contacted by HR about the position (1 week) to the time for HR to set up the phone interview (+2 weeks), to the time when I finally got a face to face interview (+3 weeks. Is this normal? Does the start to finish hiring/interview process take about 3 months in a larger company?

Thanks!
Mark
Mark

Postby Shawn Baker » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:42 pm

I don't have any direct experience with large companies like J&J, but I have a friend who applied to a large pharmaceutical company. After the interview he contacted them a few times over the next month to see how things were going. He never got anything more than a non-committal response, so he gave up. The company called him 6 months later and was shocked to learn that he had taken a different job!

Shawn
Shawn Baker

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:53 pm

Hi,

Both your experience as well as that of Shawn's acquaintance aren't that unusual. And we're talking the NORMAL schedule. Just imagine what it's like around the holidays, or when people are on vacation, etc.

This may be just one indicator of what it is like to work for a large company in comparison to the fast-moving biotech company environment. But, we really can't make it a blanket statement, because there are hiring managers in large companies who will circumvent the HR process and move quickly. And, there are small biotech co's with management that takes forever to make a decision.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
CareerTrax Inc.
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Mark » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:51 pm

Thanks for both of your comments. Is this typically slower recruiting time also indicative of when they expect you to start if offered the job? For example, if one is offered the job on Jan 1st, do they expect a start three weeks later or two months later?

Thanks again for all of your advice!
Mark
Mark

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:23 pm

mark,

Their dragging along is NOT indicative of the action they want out of you. . . They want you to start NEXT WEEK.

Dave Jensen
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Drew Parrish » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:01 pm

I just started a scientist position at a large biotech, and the timeline was similar to yours: HR call, phone interview one week later, on-site interview three weeks after that, final offer a week after that.

And like Dave said, they always want you to start last week! That said, I think there's usually flexibility. I requested a start date three months later than their suggested date - it wasn't an issue.
Drew Parrish

Return to Science Careers Forum