Horrible phone interview!

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Horrible phone interview!

Postby Chris Buntel » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:44 pm

I just conducted my most unpleasant telephone interview with a candidate ever. I'm especially grumpy about it because the candidate looked great on paper.

Please don't make any of these critical mistakes...

1. Candidate did zero research ahead of time. He had five days notice, but didn't know anything about our company. It is incredibly easy to do research with Google, Yahoo Finance, and company homepages. He actually asked if I was supposed to have sent him materials ahead of time. Please, do your homework.

2. Candidate seemed bored. It was 6:30pm, but he seemed like he just woke up. Please, sound happy and excited.

3. Candidate had no answer at all for why he wanted to join my company, or why he wanted to leave his current situation. He actually said that he was comfortable in his current job, and was not especially motivated to relocate to another city. Please, have credible positive answers for these two questions.

The telephone interview is like going on a first date. Both parties are trying to get the other interested in continuing the relationship (i.e. getting an on-site interview, and ultimately a job offer).

Good luck in interviewing! Chris Buntel.
Chris Buntel

Return to Science Careers Forum