Subscribe

Forum

Salary expectation for Non-research Position

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby chris » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:37 pm

When a job posting asks for expected salary, what is the best approach and still maintain your negotiating power? Should you give them a high number assuming they will come down? It has been my understanding that if a job candidate suggests a specific salary they often under sell themselves.
Any suggestions on how to approach this issue.

Thanks, Chris
chris

Postby Andrew » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:32 pm

The best answer is "negotiable". You cannot win naming a figure. There is no upside to doing it whatsoever and lots of downside.
Andrew

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:23 am

I absolutely agree with Andrew. It is a very sneaky and disgusting question to ask on an application. DO NOT ever give a number. They are the ones who know what their salary range is, not you,

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Catherine Nocente » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:47 am

What do you advise for the situation where you've actually gotten an interview and the interviewer asks what you expect for salary? I still say negotiable, but some really try to press you.
Catherine Nocente

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:09 pm

We've had other threads with this topic, Catherine, so you might look them up.

In general, after an interview you may be asked what your salary expectation is, and this is rather a normal question. I'm serious that a normal response is generally, "competitive with the other salaries here for people with my experience." It would be very inappropriate for you to give a number, because you'll either be high or low, and hurt your chances either way. Very little chance that you'd end up giving them the "right" number.

Employers belong to industry associations such as BIO that provide them with the salary figures paid by other companies. These reports are from the Radford Survey. Unfortunately, you don't have access to this information. However, you can turn the question into another question, by asking what the salary range is for the job, can't you? It may feel uncomfortable, but believe me, it is better than getting yourself put into a corner . . .

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum