Subscribe

Forum

post-doc in chicago

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

post-doc in chicago

Postby ramya » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:45 pm

i am a graduate student on the verge of finishing my Phd in medicinal chemistry. my research involves biotransformations and biocatalysis.I have been trying to find a post-doc in chicago an am still unlucky. i need tips on what to do????
ramya

post-doc in chicago

Postby Dave Jensen » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:23 pm

Ramya,

Sounds like you are targeting postdocs that you read about in the backs of magazines, or through web searches. While that is fine to start, as mentioned in another thread on this site, you'll find that many postdocs get their position because they made actual contact with PI's and asked them about opportunities in their lab.

I would say tha you should include Abbott, Baxter, and other co's in your call list. You'll find that some of these drug companies are trying to identify new ways to change older drugs into newly-patentable ideas. They may find your background of interest.

Don't forget to include guru's in your field into your call list. David Rozzell is the CEO of BioCatalytics, and that company is right in your field of expertise. Also, Dr. David Dodds, a consultant in biocatalysis and biotransformations, was instrumental in a number of big company success stories in your field. He's now a pharmaceutical consultant in Syracuse NY, and I'd find him and ask his advice as well.

Also, the company I founded, Search Masters International, is now a part of Kelly Services ($4.4 Billion, Troy MI) and they have their main office in Chicago. While they don't help people find postdocs, they may have ideas for you about the region.

Good luck in your search,

Dave Jensen Moderator,
CareerTrax Inc.
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum