Subscribe

Forum

Whats the best way to find a new job.....?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Martin Eastgate » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:53 am

Dear All,

My question is simple in nature, but complex in response......what is the best way to get a new job?

I should provide some back-ground on myself and my situation. Im doing a Post-Doc at the University of illinois, coming to the end of my second year, in organic chemistry. I did a PhD in organic chemistry at Cambridge University, UK.

So far I have been involved with the fall milk-round at the UIUC, I have been applying for jobs online on the company websites and through sites like this, as well as sending out speculative notes to contacts. Yet I am not have in much luck. In fact Im rarely even getting a response.

This is my first time applying for a real job, and being English, I have very little experience of the US market and application process.....however, this does seem odd to me that I am not hearing anything back. I have a two page resume and research summaries etc etc.

Any advice anyone can offer on the best way to go about recruiting would be grately appreciated.

Yours,

Martin

Martin Eastgate

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:44 pm

Martin, I got a chuckle out of your expressions. Sometimes there is a great deal of difference between British and American slang. I have no idea what a "milk run" is, but I just imagined all these HR people running around balancing milk bottles on their heads.

Sounds like you are in the traditional job seeking mode right now, which is OK to start, but you'll need to supplement it with some networking skills. The article highlighted below may be a help in getting you started. Your two page resume sounds OK, although I prefer to see industrial CV's at this end rather than resumes (if you are looking for a science job). An industry CV is not the old fashioned kind with the names of your kids on it, etc. This is a document that is laid out with an objective statement at the top, and that has your full credentials including publications, etc.

When you make those contacts via email that you call speculative, are you in effect sending a resume and asking for tips on a job? Instead of doing that, why don't you call them instead and ask for stories of how THEY did it. "How did you get your position in industry?" -- or, "Can you take a moment to tell me a bit about how your job search went? It was obviously successful, and I'd love to hear about the process you went through." Believe me, this works better than "Do you have any openings?"

Can I ask other posters to help out Martin with some ideas?

Dave Jensen, Moderator SEE ARTICLE LINK BELOW

Up Your Network
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Paul » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:00 pm

Hi Martin,

As far as companies are concerned, my advice is patience! I was going through the same situation last year and was amazed how slow some of the companies (especially larger ones) moved. I honestly don't know how they expect good people to be still available when they take several months to reply to an application.

My other advice relates to a point Dave makes in many of his postings...network. I identified a conference in my field that was big enough to be attracting all the major players and most of the drug industry people. Submit some work, sign up for all the functions and socials and then get to work! Meeting strangers is a painful experience but it only takes identifying a few of the right ones in order to make things move forward for yourself.

I'd also float out there that, being from the UK and not having a greencard could also me getting you kicked at the first hurdle but its a constant issue these days and I don't know any easy way around it.
Paul

Postby Martin Eastgate » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:25 pm

Thanks for both of your comments....both very helpful

My Resume is much more like and american CV. It contains all my academic and work history, references to my papers, awards etc. Though I havnt got a statement on there, that would probably be a good idea.

As to the visa thing.....yeah im worried about whether that is getting me cut early. I suppose there is nothing i can do about that!

Netorking sounds like the best solution. The next conference i see ill be off there.....diffcult though when you boss makes you take vacation days to go......ah well!

Thanks for the advice. This is an awesome forum!

Martin
Martin Eastgate

Return to Science Careers Forum