Subscribe

Forum

MBA after Ph.D-Life Science

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Suma » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:37 pm

I have a Ph.D degree in Biochemistry/Molecualr Biology. I have been a Fellow and now a Junior Faculty. I plan to pursue my MBA degree. What is the comment regarding the scope of getting Pharmaceutical jobs with this combination ?
Suma

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:54 pm

Hi Suma,

That's an excellent degree combination, and certainly seen a lot in the pharma industry. A word of caution, however, in that while pharma companies certainly look for people with these degrees, they almost 100% of the time choose a candidate who combines those two degrees with work experience in industry. It would generally be the advice of most business professionals to get that transition from academia to industry done first . . . and then, at a later time, to get the MBA under your belt. More than a few hiring managers I've run into will not consider candidates with a boatload of degrees who are still in academia. You need to get that major transition accomplished first.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Emil Chuck » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:21 pm

I'm going to add to Dave's comments. Usually MBA schools will also prefer candidates with "real world" experience as well. You may be an exception to the rule since you have come from an academic environment and have accomplishments to that direction. On the other hand, you may want to anticipate your answers to the questions Dave (and other admissions committees will have) about your transition from academia to industry with an MBA (as opposed to a straight-up research position). Let's begin with, "So why do you want to pursue an MBA?"
Emil Chuck

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:59 pm

I thought 'real world' experience was basically a requirement to get into a decent MBA program? At least, thats what people I know that went on to get one said - work 1-2 years in industry, then go get your MBA.

I personally may get one in the evenings in a few years, but only if I decide the management/business aspects of biotech continue to appeal to me as they do prior to my full 'immersion' in industry.
Rob

Postby Emil Chuck » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:08 pm

I'm not sure if after a faculty career one can require "industry experience," but I don't know that many people who have gone that direction. I just point out the admissions side of things, at least as I understand them.
Emil Chuck

Postby Peter » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:48 am

Ok so people say get experience before going for an MBA but how much experience would people suggest is best? 2 years has been suggested but to me this seems like very little. What period of time would you say is good if you want to go for a world top 10 school for an MBA?
Peter

Postby Emil Chuck » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:15 am

My sister got her bachelors in 1997. She got into b-school in 2003.

I would say between two and four years would be ideal if business were truly your life's dream. The other advantage for the undergrads and grad students: your GMAT score remains active for 5 years. Take it while you don't have work responsibilities.

Of course, to get into a top notch b-school (I don't vouch to knowing admissions requirements for the London School of Economics), you have to have had an outstanding academic record (undergraduate and/or graduate), GMAT scores at or above 680 (target 800 or a perfect score), and excellent experience and recommendations.
Emil Chuck

Return to Science Careers Forum