Subscribe

Forum

Interview: How to bring up competing offer

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Andy » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:32 pm

Hi all,

I have an interview coming up, and I have yet another question about it.

My interview is at "Organization B." "Organization A" has offered me a full time position. They know I am interviewing at "Organization B" and I've told "A" that I want to see how things play out with "B" before making a decision on "A's" offer. If "B" offers me a position, I would turn down the offer from "A." "Organization A" would appreciate it if I could make a decision as soon as possible on their offer, but they have some flexibility to wait. I've already convinced them to wait and they were fine with it.

I have told "A" that I will try to get a decision from "B" as soon as I can. Are there guidelines with respect to bringing up the pending offer from "A" during my interview with the hiring manager at "B"? I know this would have to be done delicately, but if they asked me when I would be available to start, that might provide an opening. Maybe "Jack, I would be very happy if "B" made me an offer after this interview, and I would accept it. I do have an offer on the table from "A" and I will need to make a decision on that offer relatively soon. Do you have any feel for the timeframe for filling this position?"

Any input will be very much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Andy

Andy

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:26 pm

Andy,

You are right on track. The big thing is not to look like you are trying to play one against the other. In today's job market, you can't pass up an offer just because you have a decent interview somewhere else. That company needs to know that you are at "crunch time" and if they are interested, they need to move along. You sound like you are right on target.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Consulting positions

Postby Priya.S » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:48 pm

Hello,

I am currently postdoctoral trainee and I am looking for opportunities in the biotech industry. I have an opportunity to join an organization as a consultant for my expertise in a specific skill. Since this is very new to me, I would like to know-

1) Can I do it as a full time employee without having to inform my PI or do I need to inform my PI / employer?
2) If I am on a NIH training grant, is that allowed?
3) Has anyone in this forum had experience doing this and if yes, could you help me understand the pros and cons?
4) Would this serve as a value addition to my CV?

Thanks.
Priya.S

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:20 pm

Hello Anon,

I'm a bit fuzzy here. Does a "contract sales" position mean it is just a temp job, staffed by an agency?

As a bit of general advice, anytime you've got relevant experience, show it and talk about it. You are so much better off having some sales experience than none of it. People know how hard it is to get one of those sales jobs in a Pharma company -- sales managers look for people who have some kind of relevant experience. Now that you've got some, contract or not, I would definitely tout it.

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Anon » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:28 pm

By contract sales group I mean an organization that signs a large contract with a manufacture to provided a sales force. In my case the companies have agreed upon a year long period of service.

I've been trained by the manufacturer and spent a couple weeks in the field. More than anything, the experience has allowed me to personally confirm my commitment to work in sales (this is my first job out of college and I have science background). I'm concerned that an interviewer will note my lack of commitment to my current employer despite the fact that this is a clear move up in my mind. Everything is compounded by the fact that I've already been though several screenings for the position and I haven't yet mentioned the work I'm currently doing. Will 7 weeks of sales experience really make a big difference to an employer?

Anon
Anon

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:15 pm

Hello,

My concern is that it may appear you are hiding something. At this point, you are probably correct that it wouldn't be necessary to use it as ammo, since it sounds like you are on track to getting somewhere with them. However, could your reluctance to talk about this position somehow look as if you "hid" this from the employer? All I can suggest is that you think about the ramifications of hiding something -- not putting it on a resume, etc -- because employers are funny about things like that.

All in all, it sounds like you are on track and doing well in the interviewing process.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Gregg » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:05 pm

Don't go making assumptions or counting your chickens before they hatch. You don't have an offer from "A" until you have an official offer letter from "A," (which makes the offer binding) and that offer letter probably says that you have something like 72 hours to accept. Until you have that letter, you don't have an offer, nor do you have any leverage to bargain with B.
Gregg

Postby Anon » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:16 pm

In case anyone else has some quick advise, let me be a little more explicit. I have been working (being paid as an official employee) with the contract sales company for 7 weeks. Now I have an interview with a major manufacturer and I don\'t know if I should bring up the work I\'ve been doing for the last month. Are any of the HR people on this forum awair of certain tax advantages these manufacturing companies might retain by hiring recent college graduates? One of the screeners I met with brought this up. Will my short term of employment prohibit the company from hiring me as a \"recent college graduate\" also referred to as a \"college underhire\". As it stands now I\'m planing to discus my current employment with the interviewer simply because I think that everyone in the industry would see my move to the manufacture as a clear move upward (it\'s permanent employment rather than a 1.5 year contract). Would anyone advise otherwise?
Anon

Return to Science Careers Forum