Subscribe

Forum

Difference between a BAppSc and BSc

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Mei » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:35 am

Hello! I have just completed my first year of BSc in Australia. However, I am in a dilemma now whereby I am deciding whether to transfer universities to pursue a Bachelor of Applied Science in Applied Chemistry as opposed to my current BSc majoring in Biochemistry.

I am aware that both areas of studies are very different but my interest in Chemistry was incited when I took Chemistry units in first year.Hence, I would really appreciate it if someone could help me clarify the difference between a Bachelor of Applied Science and a Bachelor of Science for the same area of study e.g. Chemistry.Does either degree
confer an advantage/advantages over the other? And if it does, what are they in terms of career and post graduate opportunities? Thanks!

Mei

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:25 am

Hi Mei,

I'll pass along some general comments, but based on the fact that degrees/titles are so different between countries, I am hoping that frequent posters like Val or others from down under might chip in.

If these degrees were in the States, I would say that the BS in Applied Science (Chemistry) is a degree made for the person who desires to make that the final step of education and go to work in a chemical or pharmaceutical/biotech firm. The other degree appears to me to be the one that is set up around the academic ladder, and going back for additional education on top of that would be the norm.

Can I ask for any Aussies to correct me if I am wrong? Industry would favor you getting the Applied Science degree, if they had a choice.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
CareerTrax Inc.
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum