Subscribe

Forum

Research in industry with just a masters?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Dave Jensen » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:29 pm

Derek (DJM) says, "In some companies indeed certain job titles are only available to people with certain qualifications and certain levels of responsability are only available to people with certain job titles, so there a master's would not get you very far. In others (mine for example) everyone is responsible for their own research projects regardless of their degree."

I made an assumption here that this valued frequent poster was from a pharma background. My mistake. DJM cleared this matter up and brought his current affiliation to my attention . . . a BIOTECH guy! Thanks Derek,

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Joe W. » Mon May 01, 2006 4:01 pm

Thank you everyone for your advice! I really appreciate it and feel I have a better perspective now.

I worked full-time through my masters thesis in a completely unrelated job. So I think I may of shot myself in the foot because I have no experience working in industry! I don't really know what's out there for me.

I think my best bet is to find a job for one or two years, and then make a discussion. A PhD program sounds very exciting, but the amount of time required is also very daunting. I feel that I have real passion for research (like other people here), I just don't know if I can get by with a masters.

Hey, DJM, I never heard of getting a PhD part-time through company sponsorship. How common is a situation like this? very interesting.
Joe W.

Postby Derek McPhee » Mon May 01, 2006 4:11 pm

The couple of people I know who followed that route were top performers who because of the rigidity if the technical ladder at their companies decided that a PhD was neeeded to advance. The companies reimbursed tuition and expenses (many have some sort of educational reimbursement program anyway), cut them some slack with time off to attend classes and a large part of the thesis research was also carried out at the company labs. It was obviously a part-time thing. They were also able to find a PhD advisor who would supervise a project "of interest" to the company.
Derek McPhee
Advisor

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue May 02, 2006 5:22 am

Joe,

I know of industry sponsored PhD's as well, and one employer (major pharma) that does it for their top performers. They know they can't change the culture of the company, and that they need to provide some training to help people move up the ladder (and this often requires the PhD as we've discussed).

However, it is seen far more often in areas where the PhD can lead to more understanding of specific techniques. So, a chemist would be more likely than an RNA biologist to get this opportunity. I've seen them where Biochemists went back to get the PhD in protein purification sponsored by their employer, etc.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum