Subscribe

Forum

2nd post doc?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

2nd post doc?

Postby Shehan9762 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:32 am

Thank you all for responding to my last questions. I found the advice very useful.

Since finding a job has become very difficult for a foreign born person like me, what about looking for a second post doc? The reason behind it is that I am thinking to extend my little "network" in USA and hopefully get more publications... Does that sound ok or is a 2nd post doc considered as a disadvantage?

Shehan9762

2nd post doc?

Postby John Fetzer » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:01 pm

It can be a disadvantage if it makes you look too academic. The research work you do and skills you gain have to stand alone as reasons enough for the second post-doc. If you just get some more publications in the same area or in another area that is not marketable, you might be hurting yourself.

On the other hand, going into another area that is hot and increases your skills or a position with a well-known professor can be a great help.

John
John Fetzer

Return to Science Careers Forum