Subscribe

Forum

Regulatory/Clinical Trials Monitoring

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Sue » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:02 pm

I graduated with MS Biology and IT. I would like to enter into the clinical research industry (eg. clinical trials monitoring). How I do make a transition from Biotech research (1 year experience) to Clinical research? Are there any CROs that hire entry level candidates? What kind of experience do I need to look for in preparation for such a career? Are there any links in the science web site explaining opportunities in this area?
Thanks
Sue
Sue

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:09 pm

Hi Sue,

Making the transition to Clinical Research is described in a number of articles on the Science's NextWave website, at www.nextwave.org. However, you do need to access that from a site that has a license, such as a University, or else perhaps you have an association membership that will allow you to read it, or you subscribe to SCIENCE.

Yes, CRO's will hire entry level candidates, but they generally do so on a "try it and see if you like it" basis by using temporary staffing firms to fill many of the positions. Some of these companies have web training links they recommend (Kelly Scientific has such an investment in web training) and others, such as ClinForce, have actual hands-on training that they put their newbie workers through. This is generally enough to get your foot in the door, and then if the CRO likes you, you can get to stay as a permanent employee. It is much cheaper for them to use companies like this than to pay traditional headhunting firms.

I don't believe you'll have a difficult time making the transition with a MS and a year of work references under your belt,

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum