Subscribe

Forum

sciency policy job/headhunters

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Marcia » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:44 am

I am presently looking for a job in science policy and am exhausting my resources. Do you think a headhunter would help? If so, do you have any recommendations on where I could find one that deals with placing PhD Scientist in non-research positions
Marcia

Postby Meredith » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:50 am

Marcia,

I would go to the AAAS and look for internships. The Christine Mirzayan Fellowship has quite a following these days--was even written up in AWIS magazine. This would develop your network and potentially open up the job market, as well.
Meredith

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:22 pm

I think that Meredith's advice is great. As a headhunter, I can state with just about 100% certainty that there is no one specializing in science policy jobs.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Bill L. » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:30 pm

Hi Marcia,

The Center for International Security and Cooperation (CISAC) has a Science Policy and International Security Fellowship at Stanford, where they are specifically looking for scientists and engineers who are postdocs or mid-career professionals. Their website is: http://cisac.stanford.edu/docs/fellowships

Good luck,

Bill L. & Naledi S.
Bill L.

Postby Marcia » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:18 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice. Unfortunately, I am just finishing a science policy fellowship and am looking to find an actual job. I have contact and have been using them, but I just wanted to see if anyone new any other avenues or if a head hunter would be helpful.

thanks again.
Marcia

Postby Joe » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:18 pm

I would highly recommend the Christine Mirzayan science policy internship program. The have a great website. http://www7.nationalacademies.org/policyfellows/
The National Academies program can be used as a great starting point for a science policy career.
Joe

Return to Science Careers Forum