Subscribe

Forum

Interview followups

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Interview followups

Postby Joe » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:43 am

I recently interviewed with a large pharma company for a Senior Scientist position and think I nailed the interview. The hiring manager and panel interviewers told me that they were very impressed. The HR manager told me that they would get back to me with a decision in a week. It's been 2.5 weeks and I haven't heard anything yet. I sent an email to the hiring manager once again thanking him for the interview and inquiring about my status, but never heard back.

Is there anything I can do in this situation? I really want to call the HR manager, but don't want to be inappropriate.

Thanks!

Joe
Joe

Interview followups

Postby Dave Jensen » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:28 pm

Hi Joe,

Fantastic news on the great interview . . . Let's see about turning it into an offer. All is not dead yet, by a long shot.

Remember that there is a great deal of enthusiasm after a positive interview, and the only mistake you made was not "closing the deal" sooner. Personally, I would have been in touch on Day 8, to inquire as to what the status is. You need to get in touch with your HR rep right now, not worrying about the appropriateness of the contact, because HE or SHE told you "one week" and that is very specific. After all, it wasn't one of those erroneous "give us a couple of weeks and we'll be getting back to you, Joe" kind of messages.

When you talk to them, they may indicate that they are continuing to interview, and so you should be as well. However, if they are potentially still "evaluating" your last interview, they may act if you indicate your ready interest but comment that because you haven't heard from them, you are now gearing up another round of interviews. While you NEVER want to play one company against another, it doesn't hurt for them to realize that you aren't sitting around waiting for them, but that because of their lack of response you are continuing your networking and interviewing process.

Let us know what happens,

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Interview followups

Postby Joe » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:41 am

Thanks Dave. I've tried contacting the HR manager by email and by phone, and just keep getting her voicemail. I've left messages, but she doesn't ever respond. I figured that because of the Thanksgiving holiday, things might have been backed up. Hopefully, she will get back to me this week. If not, I'll try calling her again.

Any other suggestions? She was the head contact during the interview process as HR manager, so I don't really know who else I could contact.

Joe
Joe

Interview followups

Postby AL » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:01 pm

Did you get cards from the other people who interviewed you?
Maybe you can call them and find out what is going on.

Best of luck!

AL

Return to Science Careers Forum