Subscribe

Forum

How to list coauthors on CV

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Carmen » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:13 am

Now days, there are many papers published with equal contribution authors. Can one switch his name to the front if he is the second coauthor when writing his own CV?

Thanks for insights!
Carmen

Postby Andy » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:25 pm

Carmen,

Play it very safe. Avoid any possibility that someone may think you have misrepresented reality. Therefore, leave the author order as it appears in print, and if you want, use asterisks with a footnote under your \"publications\" section to indicate the equal contribution.

Andy
Andy

Postby Carmen » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:32 pm

I have switched it around when submited my CV for recent job hunting. Have anybody ever done that? Do you think this will cause confusion.

Comments appreciated!
Carmen

Postby Paul » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:35 pm

Hi Carmen,

I think its perfectly ok to switch it around. Employers give CV's a glance to look for first authors and, fact is, you ARE first author on those papers so you aren't lying by listing yourself first.

A CV is about promoting yourself and giving yourself the best chance to look good. Take every chance possible to do this.
Paul

Postby Kim » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:43 pm

I would not switch around the order of author names. And I would consider it unethical to do so.
Kim

Postby Goodwin Jinesh » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:44 pm

The first and second authors may have equal contribution workwise but the first author should be the one who put forward the idea first. So there is no question of shifting the author positions.
Goodwin Jinesh

Postby Ken » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:47 pm

I was going to ask this question myself. I think "unethical" is an unfair word. Assuming it is a scenario where the two authors are entirely equal in work and ideas (and if they aren't, they shouldn't be listed as "contributed equally" in the first place) then is it fair that one person's CV looks demonstrably inferior due to an accident of alphabetical order?
Ken

Postby Carmen » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:37 pm

Have anybody ever got some ideas from professionals?

Thanks!
Carmen

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:29 pm

Here's one comment from a professional CV reader . . .

We scan CV's to see first author publications. It's a fact of life. You look a lot better when you are listed as the first co-author, and not the second.

And then I had this great idea, that researchers should "buddy up" in the beginning, with an agreement that it is OK to switch the order on their respective CVs. However, before going ahead and posting that suggestion here, because it is such an emotional issue, I thought I'd ask Beth Fischer, of the University of Pittsburgh's "PhD Survival Skills and Ethics Program." She teaches ethics and job search skills to scientists.

Beth told me "your idea stinks. A person can not change the order of the authors of a publication, for any reason. It isn't ethical." I begged, I pleaded. It just seemed so natural to me for a person to want to put their own name first, for the self-promotional (and very real) impact it makes on their CV. Unfortunately, I couldn't get her buy-in. She did agree with the earlier poster who suggested using an asterick. But I can tell you as a person who reads CVs all day long, no one reads astericks.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
CareerTrax Inc.
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Ken » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:52 pm

I still don't see it as changing the order (which is OBVIOUSLY unethical). If the asterisk is there in the original paper, then author Aaronson and author Zydor are both actually first author, since they can't be superimposed. Zydor's resume now looks bad because of his last name? Sorry, but THAT is unethical. I guess I should be happy that my last name is toward the front of the alphabet.
Ken

Next

Return to Science Careers Forum