Subscribe

Forum

How to list coauthors on CV

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Andrew » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:35 pm

exactly. I would also add that anything that appears as "excuse-making" does not make the applicant look very good.
Andrew

Postby Brian » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:55 am

When we write technical reports and grants we use a format like this...

Dr. Soandso is the author and co-author of a number of publications including:

"Title" Journal, Vol, pp, (Date), With Author A, Author B and Author C

"Title2"...etc.

I know this is a nonstandard format, but it highlights the work that was performed rather than "who's on first." This also forces the reviewer to evaluate the type of work you have done rather that "scan for the number of first authorships."

My $0.02
Brian
Brian

You guys are kidding yourselves!

Postby Paul » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:55 pm

No offense to anyone but I am AMAZED at the igorance surrounding the issue of "co-first", "equal contribution", or whatever a journal wants to call it these days.

The current issue of Immunity, a Cell Press journal, has a total of 11 research articles. SIX of these have "equal contributions" for authors! TWO have THREE "equal contributing authors"!!!

To claim that these papers are published with "only one first author" is going to upset some hard working people out there! My take on the statement of "equal contribution" is that the journal is accepting the FACT that there are more than one first author. Why else would they allow this practice? Its, therefore, a misrepresentation to represent yourself as a second author, or lower. The concept of "misrepresentation" being "unethical" applies both ways.
Paul

You guys are kidding yourselves!

Postby Paul » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:32 pm

I still argue that these people are "first authors" and, by ethical right, are entitled to list themselves first on their resume, thereby ensuring they fully display their acheivement.

I get the concept of how it truely looked on paper but thats NOT truely how it was meant.

I guess the asterix is the simplest solution...but mine would be in 36 font, bold and animated if it was my resume being emailed!!! :)

END OF THREAD -- END OF THREAD -- END OF THREAD
Paul

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum