Subscribe

Forum

Ph.D. in Computational Biology with Concentration in Biostat?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Ph.D. in Computational Biology with Concentration in Biostat?

Postby S.K » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:03 am

Hi, everyone. It has been great to find this forum, especially during this stage when I am quite confused and unclear about my ph.d. study...

So, I got my dual degrees in chemistry and computer science (B.S) with minors in biology and mathmatics from a top ivy university; and I would enter another big name ivy's biomedical&biological sciences program in the coming fall. I do think that I love biomedical science, which is the reason why I applied to my current Ph.D. program, however, after talking to several postdocs in my department and finding out that they have been doing their postdocs for over 7-8 years, I am not sure about that anymore.

I was initially accepted by the Pharmacology Track, and ultimately I wish to land a job in industry. Although our school and department do have tight connection with BMS; looking at the pharmacology program's curriculum, I feel that their curriculum is way too diluted and doesn't contain too much classical pharmacology stuff; in addition, their faculty members are pretty much all doing basic research (i.e. no one is doing PK/PD etc.), which might not have employability in industry. I also applied to and got accepted by their highly competitive new Medical Research Scholar Program (5 medical school courses and 4 semesters of clinical mentorship), which is supposed to bridge basic research and bedside research; however, according to the posts I read in this forum ,without a M.D., this sort of training is basically useless.

So, with my quantitative background, I start to consider the possibility of getting a ph.d in Computational Biology and bioinformatics, the department I also got accepted by in this school. And its required courses are quite simple: 3 computational bio classes, 2 informatics classes and 4 bio classes. All the other courses can be picked from any other dept in the school and we are allowed to pick phd advisor from any bio/informatics related department . Therefore, taken the advise from a biostat professor in my undergrad institutition, I think I will take all of the courses required by a biostat phd while completing my other requirements for comp. bio.

Sorry for making this thread so long, but it is really a complicated story. so my question is do you think that I should still continue my medical research program while getting a degree in biostat? And how attractive will my background be for industry positions?

Thank you so much for your patience, and any piece of advice will be highly appreciated.
S.K

Return to Science Careers Forum