Subscribe

Forum

Postdoct Research in Neurodegeneration

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Park » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:06 am

Does anybody know or have information about the future of this kind of research in academic or industry?
I do not hope it is hot as stem cell. But I do not hope there is no market at all, either.
Park

Postby Don » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:56 am

Park,

This is a hot area at least in industry. Anyone working in ALS, Parkinsons, Alzheimers, etc. is working on neurodegeneration. If I were you and I wanted to go into industry, I would check out what you think are the best papers in that area that have an industry person in the author list and then figure out a way to meet that person (at a meeting, seminar, cold call, etc.). You need to begin networking with these people. I wont go into the details of networking as others on this forum are much better at the ideas than I am. Maybe Dave Jensen (the networking Guru here - and a real authority on networking among scientists if you ask me) could point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Don
Don

Postby Park » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:48 pm

Thank you very much for your message. Why it is so important to find a position in industry through networking? Can't it be simple to just apply to the people who is looking for Postdoct in industry, just like in academic?
Park

Postby Don » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:34 am

That is a good question. Rather than give you my take on it, you should take a look at the archives of this forum.

My guess is that threads about networking probably represent a disproportionate amount of the discussions here (and on other sites). For many scientists it is one of the most vexing parts of finding their first (and often subsequent) job(s). It is something that is not taught in school and something that seems daunting to many people. "How do I network", "what defines networking", "isnt that just brown-nosing", "wont that annoy people"; the reactions are predictable.

The short answer is that networking is not just a means to an end (getting your first job), it is a terribly important skill you will need throughout your career. While I am not an academic, I would venture that it is a very important skill in that arena as well - most of the very successfull academics I know have terrific networks.

Look through the archives for this site and you will see a lot of advice on networking.

Hopefully someone better at describing how one networks will chime in here. Dave?

D
Don

Return to Science Careers Forum