Subscribe

Forum

What to wear?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

What to wear?

Postby Kelly Ann » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:01 pm

In my experience, biotech companies are fairly laid back in their dress codes (my theory is they don't want to spill chemicals on clothing). So, how does a graduate student (going from wearing jeans and t-shirts) gauge what to wear to an interview?

Is there such a thing as being over-dressed (by wearing a suit as one would do to a business interview)? Is it appropriate to ask the HR contact how casual the companies dress code is?

I know this may seem like an odd question but everybody talks about how important it is to sell yourself well in an interview ... and I think clothing can play an important (although unconscience) role in distinguishing two equally qualified candidates.

I have my own ideas about what is appropriate but I thought I would ask everybody on this forum what they think.
Kelly Ann

What to wear?

Postby Ken » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:50 pm

I was in your position not so long ago. The short of it, I would say you can't go wrong wearing a suit. You will likely be better dressed than anyone interviewing you, many of whom will be in jeans, but it's much better to dress a step up than a step down.

I wore a suit, and didn't feel uncomfortable about it.
Ken

What to wear?

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:33 pm

I asked a fellow in a company that is typically jeans and a lab coat, how they felt about people coming in with dockers and polo shirts for interviews.

"Hey, I had to wear a suit to the interview, and when I see someone trying to get away without it, I wonder what they are trying to prove."

There's a simple answer to your question, Kelly Ann, and Ken had it right. You'll never, ever find someone thinking that you are wrong for wearing a business suit to an interview. Any other style of clothing and you may have people wondering what it says about you,

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

What to wear?

Postby Val » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:28 am

> In my experience, biotech companies are fairly laid back in their dress codes
> (my theory is they don't want to spill chemicals on clothing).

All people told me to reject the offer of a tea/coffee at the interview. Indeed, in all cases where I took the offered tea, I was unsuccessful. I could not understand how accepting the tea offer could affect my chances at getting the job. Someone gave me an explanation: "You can spill tea onto your white shirt". I still did not get it, but I bought it.

Regards,
Val
Val

What to wear?

Postby Don » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:52 am

Yes, most biotechs are casual (as are most labs). But for an interview, wear a suit.

D
Don

What to wear?

Postby Emil Chuck » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:04 am

I'd say wear a suit for these reasons:

I know when I do interviews (of high school kids for competition), I don't encourage or discourage kids from wearing a suit or dressing up. But without a doubt, I do find myself grading those kids with proper suits in my interviews better because their non-visual language exudes more confidence and focus.
Emil Chuck

What to wear?

Postby Chris » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:23 am

I was in your position a year ago- right out of my Ph.D. and interviewing for both academic postdocs as well as biotech jobs. For the biotech job I wore a suit and it felt quite appropriat during the interview. For the academic postdoc interviews, I wore pants and a nice shirt.
Chris

What to wear?

Postby A. Sam » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:52 pm

I wore a suit to my last biotech interview and was almost laughed out of the building. They affectionately started referring to me as "the funeral director". I did get the job though, it helped to build rapport. Bottom line: you can easily get away with being overdressed but you'll never get away with being underdressed. I'll probably wear a suit again next time.
A. Sam

What to wear?

Postby Dave Jensen » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:21 pm

Sam, maybe you had on something very dark and spooky looking ):

My guess is that (for a man) a really nice sport coat with dress shirt, tie and a nice pair of slacks is fine and that would not be considered funeral attire,

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

What to wear?

Postby Drew Parrish » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:46 pm

This is why I love this forum - I get to find out everything I've done wrong (which is a lot...).

I was in Kelly Ann's situation a few months ago and didn't wear a suit to a job interview at a biotech. I wore nice slacks and a sweater set/scarf. I still got the job.

I think there's something in between Dave's "polo shirt and dockers" and a full out suit. Maybe for guys that's dark slacks and a button down shirt/tie...for women, slacks or a dark skirt and a button down shirt or sweater?

I did a lot of surveying around before I went, and the advice given to me was to dress 1-2 steps above what I would wear on a daily basis there.

I suppose, though, that the suit may be the safest route. It's probably more of a fatal flaw to be too underdressed than overdressed.
Drew Parrish

Next

Return to Science Careers Forum