Subscribe

Forum

What to wear?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

What to wear?

Postby Chi-chi » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:13 am

Hi everybody,

I noticed that the women have been silent about this issue. I can\'t imagine why since there are many ways for us to look formal, business casual and just plain dressed up. Personally, I think that you should wear clothing that makes you feel comfortable and confident.

You definitely don\'t want to enter an interview wondering if you look more than ok. You should dress in clothes in which you know you will look good (We all have our favorite pants/shirt/suit etc...). Then you can focus your mind on other important things like making sure you are interacting well with your interviewees.

Chi-chi
Chi-chi

What to wear?

Postby Mike S. » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:00 pm

Sorry, but this line from Chris (who I assume is a female?) cracked me up:

"For the academic postdoc interviews, I wore pants and a nice shirt."

Has anyone tried the nice shirt/no pants look? Just curious... :)
Mike S.

What to wear?

Postby Emma » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:39 am

Chi-chi\'s right that there are many ways for us to dress up. I think one look we probably want to avoid is anything overly feminine. I\'m not saying I\'d never wear a skirt to an interview (in fact, my lucky interview suit has a skirt), but it\'s worth remembering that some science fields are pretty male -dominated, and you don\'t want them worrying that you won\'t change your own vacuum pump oil for fear of breaking a nail. Nice, yes. Dressy, yes. Comfortable to be in, absolutely. Frilly, no.
Emma

What to wear?

Postby CT » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:00 pm

I had the same dilemma for a particularly formal post-doc interview. I wanted to wear something nice but couldn't find anything that wasn't too feminine. I wore something drab (but nice - pants and a sweater) and still got the unwanted remarks about my appearance that I think you can't avoid as a woman in a male dominated field. Although I don't have any experience of industry interviews I think we can get away with looking nice and formal without a suit, so you can hedge your bets a bit...
CT

What to wear?

Postby K Seth » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:32 pm

I always wore understated, but elegant (even floral designed) skirts, nice fitting jacket (always dark), mostly white or off-white shirt/turtle neck. Never, ever had a problem. I did this for many years, both for postdoc interviews, industry interviews. Few times in fact, I received some compliments. So, just think outside of the box, and find something elegant, well fitting and comfortable. At any cost, don't look grungy (like the people who interview you sometimes look like!).
K Seth

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum