Subscribe

Forum

PhD career shift

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

PhD career shift

Postby Sarah » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:53 pm

I am currently in my 2nd year of a basic science doctorate program. The next stage is the 'nuts and bolts'- the dissertation - coursework is essentially done. If I know that I do not want to stay in the lab, and am considering working more for policy, and advocating science to the public and to perhaps government, is the basic science PhD necessary? I'm looking into a DrPH (doctorate of Public health) degree to compliment my BS in Nutrition, and MS in Exercise physiology instead. Would being coined a "basic scientist" truly be most beneficial?

Thank you for your time,
S
Sarah

PhD career shift

Postby Eric » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:02 pm

If you can finish your PhD in a reasonable amount of time, I would focus on that and complete the basic science PhD. I've found in the job hunt process that people who start one educational program and then quit and do something else are viewed more negatively than those who seem to be more focused on their career objectives. It's not fair, but career-switchers, career risk-takers, overly creative people who follow their dreams are often viewed more suspiciously by employers.
Employers like a sense of safety, security, stability and decisiveness to emanate from prospective employees, even at the expense of turning down more innovative people who don't have their lives fully mapped out.

Your basic science PhD will qualify you for your science policy career; I'm not convinced a DPH would make you any more qualified. You might even consider getting a MPH instead, after getting your basic sciend PhD.
Eric

PhD career shift

Postby Eric » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:42 pm

Also,

You definitely need to be contacting people who are working in the science policy field that you are interested in. If you have not done so, consider looking into whether your college career office maintains a database of alumni who are willing to talk to people interested in the field they are working in. I've found good career advice this way.

Good Luck
Eric

Return to Science Careers Forum