Subscribe

Forum

Ph.D or MD?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Ph.D or MD?

Postby sinae » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:15 pm

Hi,

I am a junior in undergrad and have been seriously considering about going to medical school. But recently I hear bad things about
being a doctor such as doctors getting laid off from a hospital that hired more PAs instead.
Should I go for MD or Ph.D?
My ultimate career goal is working for companies,not clinics necessarily.
sinae

Ph.D or MD?

Postby Drew Parrish » Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:52 pm

The PhD and the MD are pretty different degrees that involve different careers - it just depends on what you're interested in doing. If you want to teach or do research, get a PhD. If you want to treat patients, get an MD.
Drew Parrish

Ph.D or MD?

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:07 pm

What Drew said is correct . . . Like comparing apples with oranges. Talk to some of both. Get a feel for what the job is like on both sides. There doesn't seem to be any less need for MD's in the pharma world, so don't let that worry you. But there are a lot of jobs that MD won't get you into -- your ticket isn't punched for research, as one example,

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Ph.D or MD?

Postby robert Joseph » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:54 pm

I possess both a Ph.D and a clinical degree and there are distinct advantages and disadvantages to having both or either degree alone. For example, having both degrees can align you for criticism by clinicians that your mindset is more like a researcher; and researchers potentially criticize that you are merely a clinician superficially dabbling in research.
It has been stated in other posts that an MD degree will not allow you certain research opportunities that a Ph.D. will have but by the same mention, a Ph.D. does not have the unique access to human subjects....Here a some brief yet what I consider major points for thought

An MD always has the opportunity to practice medicine and do research, a Ph.D. is principly geared to research... although there are non tradiational applications to Ph.D training ie see the book that I believe is called beyond the ivory tower.

Also consider that if you go to medical school and run up a $200,000 bill and decide to just do basic research,,,you could be eating Ramin noodles 3 meals a day for some time.

Give it some thought, its not about which is better just about what options you want to execute in the future.

Although I am biased, I like having both degrees, it offers a unique perspective that is best kept for another posting.

robert Joseph

Ph.D or MD?

Postby sinae » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:13 pm

Thank you so much for your reply.
I just want to let you know that I chose medical school and am currently preparing for MACT in this coming April.
Time made me realize that I do not have what it takes to be a \"real\" scientist.
Again, I do appreciate your advice.
sinae

Return to Science Careers Forum