Salary negotiation tips

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Salary negotiation tips

Postby Lynn » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:06 pm

I'm beginning the salary negotiation process for a scientist III position at a national lab and was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips. I've negotiated for a biotech position but am clueless about what is fair game for a national lab. Can you negotiate vacation and signing bonuses?

Salary negotiation tips

Postby Dave Jensen » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:23 pm

Hello Lynn,

I watched this post for quite some time, hoping that someone would chip in with any negotiation tips that made sense specific to National Labs. All we had was some spam posted from a woman selling services of some kind . . .

So, I'll answer this the best way I can. I have a friend who negotiated to get a job at a research institution which is a part of the USG. He was an "in-demand" sort of person, with technology transfer experience and some exposure to both academia and industry. While he was NOT able to negotiate the level of the job (and thus, the salary) he was able to "work out something off the record" with his boss regarding vacation days. He was formerly offered one level of vacation, and the boss gave him an additional week which wasn't on the offer. Anyway, it doesn't sound as if there is a lot of flexiblity in the negotiation here, but that shouldn't stop you from trying!

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Salary negotiation tips

Postby John Fetzer » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:03 pm

In reality most people in negotiations do not ask for much and thus, settle for much less than they could have gotten. Relocation costs, extra vacation, more salary or benefits, and so on are open. If you get a No, then press a little to see how firm it is. If it seems firm, move on to other areas. Do not just accept the offer because your salary expectations are initially met. It is dickering, which most of us do not like, but it affects your positioning there from day one.

John Fetzer

Return to Science Careers Forum