Subscribe

Forum

M.S. or Nursing or Business? Pleasssse help me

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Joyce » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:04 pm

Hello Sneha

In response to Erik?s comment, I would advise against the Professional Masters. I recently earned one of these degrees but have found that hiring managers in the pharmaceutical industry (mostly PhDs and MDs) are not aware that the Professional Masters degree exists. When I explain to them the intent of the Professional Masters, most do not agree that it is a valuable credential. This is because there is such an abundance of PhDs in the market and why hire an MS when you can get a PhD?

I would recommend that you first pursue the BS in Nursing. Your BS n Biology probably gets you a good start into a Nursing degree. There is a demand for nurses, and you should have no problem finding a job, either in a clinical setting or a pharmaceutical company. In addition, there are a lot of decent, relatively inexpensive schools where you should be able to get a marketable nursing degree. On the other hand, if you first go the MBA route, you limit your chances of finding a good job unless you go to a top tier MBA school. The MBA will likely cost you over $80,000. From what I have seen, an MS in biotech is of limited value in the job market, even if it is combined with an MBA.

Another thing to consider ? it seems more acceptable to hiring managers to see someone first earn a degree in nursing, work for a few years, and then go on to get an MBA. If you get the MBA first, and then go on to get a degree in nursing or an MS or PhD in a scientific field, you may be viewed as being indecisive about your career path.

Best of luck to you.
Joyce

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:41 pm

As a recruiter, I can tell you that it is very difficult to present candidates with a Professional Masters degree in biotechnology. Employers, to the one, do not understand this degree and see no sense in it.

These programs were developed by funding from some major Foundation, I don't recall which one. However, they didn't spend a nickel on the long-term marketing effort required to get employers to understand what the degree is, and how it fits into their companies.

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum