Subscribe

Forum

Low G.P.A's impact on career

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby sonal » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:38 pm

Hi..
I'll be graduating in May with a B.S. in Biology. My grades are not great.. i started college when I was 17 and was immatured then.And made very unwise decisions regarding course scheduling.
However I have grown up now & I am getting Bs in my advanced classes. My cum gpa is 2.90. ::( (I started with a low gpa in my first semester to begin with)

I love research ( i want to research on Alzhimers disease) I understand that I can't get into a PhD program now, however there is a slight chance I may get into a M.S. and then apply to PhD.
Does anyone here know of anyone who was in a similar situation?

Should I just abandon my dream for a PhD and just go for nursing or switch my career entirely from science to "shoe maker"
Thanks.
sonal

Postby Paul » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:35 am

What are your GRE scores? Do you have strong letters?

Your GPA is only part of your aplication. I know of many people with GPA well under 3 .00 that still got into very good programs, so it's not a lost cause, but you need something to balance with.

One person I know of had a child and about a 2.50 GPA. She recieved offers from all the top schools... she did have great letters and near perfect test scores.

A 2.90 might hurt your chances for grant money as a grad and a postdoc, but in science no one will ever ask to see your undergrad transcripts for a job after postdoc.
Paul

Postby Ken » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:54 am

I had a similar GPA as you in college (too much playing, and not enough studying. I wish I had it to do over....). But, I ended up with a PhD from a great program, and now have a great postdoc.

No one asked me for my GPA or college transcript for the postdoc. So, I think once you get into grad school (and you can with a bad GPA) you're fine. Maybe apply to a lower end school which is physically close to a better school (look in the New York or Boston areas and you'll find this). Do a year or two at the school you get into, and put in for a transfer after your master's. Or, find a great PI at a lower end school. They exist.
Ken

Postby K Seth » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:02 pm

Sonal,

Because you're saying you're grown up.... started to focus and work hard, try to ace GRE (including subject GRE). Then I suppose you don't have to worry about the low GPA part.

I suppose it is same amount of effort if it is a Ph.D. in Alzhimers research or good shoe making!!
K Seth

Low G.P.A\'s impact on career

Postby sonal » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:40 pm

Thank you Ken, Paul, KSeth for your help!
i forgot to add in that im a international student :(
Ken..what schools accept low gpa\'s for M.S. program? I found an internship involving compounding..so i won\'t have time to study for GRE\'s so i rather take it next year..and meanwhile now go for M.S.

Thanks!
sonal

Postby Emil Chuck » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:47 am

There's another way of going about this: consider getting a research tech job in a laboratory after you graduate from undergraduate. Find a supervisor who would be interested in hiring you but also give you experience in research... maybe get you published in a paper. After maybe 1-2 years as a tech, apply to grad school. By that point, you will have a record of your competence in a research laboratory, a hopefully excellent reference from your supervisor (on top of whatever other academic refs you get from school), and a couple of extra years to ace the GRE's.

People do take "time off" to work between undergraduate and graduate school... don't be discouraged if this is really the life you want to live. And if not, there are plenty of technician jobs out there that only require a bachelors or masters degree. Pick the right skill and you could be set for a long, long time.
Emil Chuck

Postby Ken » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:24 am

Emil is correct. I went right from undergrad to grad school, but I was definitely in the minority. Most had at least a year or two as a tech under their belt, and were better able to hit the ground running in grad school while I learned what end of the pipette to use.
Ken

Return to Science Careers Forum