Subscribe

Forum

qualified for two jobs

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

qualified for two jobs

Postby Chris » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:07 pm

What does one do if they are reasonably well qualified for two different jobs that are posted on a company's website? They are in two different departments (one is analytical, the other is discovery). I'm willing to join either since this is could potentially be my first biotech job (I have a Ph.D. and postdoc experience). Should I mention both in the cover letter? Send two different applications?
Thanks
Chris

qualified for two jobs

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:55 pm

Hi Chris,

Tricky business, this "two open positions" thing . . . The H/R people will want to put you into one cubby hole. They certainly won't want to put you into both hiring manager's hands. Plus, if you come up with two different CV's, as you should (each targeted to the job at hand) than they'll note this and get very confused.

Perhaps one approach would be to come up with a CV that fits the best of the two positions and send this through per their instructions on the site. Then, develop a "spin off" of that CV that fits the other job a bit better and do some networking to identify the hirng manager. Get that copy to him/her via another method other than routing through H/R.

Two different cover letters, please!

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

qualified for two jobs

Postby Ken » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:27 am

When HR for my current position first contacted me, they had me in mind for one position. I looked on their website, and saw three other positions that I was interested in. I asked to apply for all four positions. I don't think I was ever considered for those other three positions, as I was immediately cubbyholed (to use Dave's term) into the position that they originally planned for me.

So, I don't think it can hurt to apply to both, but don't be surprised if you aren't considered for both.
Ken

Return to Science Careers Forum