Postdoc Nightmare

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postdoc Nightmare

Postby Gary » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:47 pm

I am clearly having a postdoc nightmare.Only six
laboratories in the USA work in my area and they all complain about lack of funding. I am now thinking that it was a wrong move to do a PhD in such a narrow field. I am stuck even before taking off and the enthusiasm was so great when I defended my PhD. I am at my wits' end ? Any way out ? Gary

Postdoc Nightmare

Postby Kevin Rogers » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:27 pm

Do a postdoc in a different field ?

What's stopping you ?
Kevin Rogers

Postdoc Nightmare

Postby A. Sam » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:29 pm

Switch labs now.
A. Sam

Postdoc Nightmare

Postby Gary » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:52 pm

Other fields emphasize best background fit.

Postdoc Nightmare

Postby Frank » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:19 pm

I know many examples of people who did postdocs in fields very different from their PhD or even other postdoctoral experience, e.g. switching from cell biology to virology, from bioinformatics to immunology etc. I would even say that it is one of the few moments in your career where you can easily switch fields. Many PIs are looking to hire people from different backgrounds, because it is a relatively cheap and effective way to introduce some new techniques and ideas into their lab. So I would identify a field that you are interested in (and for which the job prospects seem better), contact some PIs and explain to them why you are interested in working with them. After all, the aim of a postdoc is to gain more training and experience before you go on to more independent positions, so I would strongly advise against doing a postdoc in the exact same field as the one you did your PhD in.

Return to Science Careers Forum