Subscribe

Forum

A Job Search Post-Mortem (Long)

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Kevin Foley » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:42 am

Kim RE: "Sometimes, I wonder what would happen if I address the wrong person as the hiring manager. It is certainly very likely to happen if I simply do internet search."

Somehow, I get the feeling that people are not really listening to Dave. Stop worrying about addressing the wrong person. What you need to be doing is to CALLING this person, preferably to set up a face-to-face meeting. But at least TALK to him or her on the phone (at least then you can ASK him if he/she is the hiring manager!). If so, give your prepared 60 second ?sales pitch? (I assume that has been discussed around here?)?if he isn?t, ask for a face-to-face informational interview.

Mailing your resume to the supposed "hiring manager" is only a little better than sending it right to HR. You know what I often do when I get a CV by e-mail for a position that I?m hiring? I send it to HR!!! I don?t have time to do the first screen of incoming CVs.

If you really want to get hired, you need to TALK to people. E-mailing is not really networking.

Take it from someone who has found 3 out of 3 biotech jobs by networking. You should be spending 80% of your time TALKING to people, leaving 20% for things like replying to job ads online (and reading this forum!). You can blow an entire week on Monster.com, and not have made any progress.

Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin Foley

Postby Dave Jensen » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:04 pm

Kevin,

Thanks for your comments.

I am often surprised by how difficult it is to get some scientists to pick up the phone and/or take direct action with meeting someone. For these scientists, it is generally so much easier to approach people via email. I get "networking" emails all the time and while I take a brief moment to answer them, they get about 10% of what they would get from me if they sound halfway professional and called on the phone.

Even worse, though, is the person who calls and then blurts out something about needing a job and promises an email which never shows up. That happened recently -- I'm still waiting for this woman's CV, as she is a friend of a friend of mine, but there's no way I am going to chase her down for it.

People need to get comfortable talking to strangers on the phone. I think there's an entire seminar on that subject out there, and I intend to start working on that.

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby MPB » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:36 pm

To Andy's good advice about Googling and using Pubmed, I also wanted to add that the Science Citation Index is a good way to identify scientists at a particular institution (although it is not available for free via the internet to most people). It has an "institution" index (I believe it's called the "corporate index" or something like that) that allows you to look up articles by institution at which the author resides. [For example, looking up "Genentech" in the 2004 volume would list all papers that were published by authors at Genetech in 2004.] Pubmed generally only indexes the instutution of the first author, but the SCI usually indexes the institutions of all of the authors.

MPB

re: A Job Search Post-Mortem (Long)

Postby Tom » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:42 pm

Would you suggest using this tactic/strategy for for non-Ph.D positions (calling up hiring managers w/out a social network)? Like to find a start-up job at a company or anything to get my foot into the door of industry?
Tom

re: A Job Search Post-Mortem (Long)

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:36 am

Hi Tom,

Certainly what Andy has described in this thread will work for anyone. But, don't exclude all "traditional" job search methods, either. Just be open to some new ones.

Dave Jensen
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum