Subscribe

Forum

Science Policy

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Science Policy

Postby Brent Kelly » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:02 pm

I am in the middle of my graduate work (neuroscience) with the knowledge that I ultimately want to leave the academic world. I have recently been informed of 1 year science policy fellowships sponsored by AAAS. I was wondering if anyone can tell me a little more about these positions?......

What kind of experiences are looked highly upon in selection for fellowship award? Does field of study matter? Are fellows generally hired on to full-time positions? etc...

Thanks
Brent Kelly

AAAS Science Policy fellowships

Postby Emil Chuck » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:15 am

http://fellowships.aaas.org/ I think is the website, which should answer many of your questions. The application deadline passed last week for the 2005-06 year.

I'll let people from the "inside" answer the questions regarding what makes a "good" candidate for these fellowships.
Emil Chuck

Postby Carlysle Tancha » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:45 am

Brent,
I met a number of these fellow on a recent trip. These positions are basically for one year and they are very competitive. I would check out the website and contact individuals on the site to find out their experience. The applications are accepted each year and you can get on a listserve that will email you periodically about when the deadlines are coming. But, as mentioned, these positions are only for a year, but you do get to meet a lot of people in D.C., which has the potential to catapult your career in science policy.
Carlysle Tancha

Postby Emil Chuck » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:28 am

This should be a freely-accessible article, but if not, make sure you read about this person's testimonial:

http://chronicle.com/jobs/2005/02/2005020301c.htm
"A Change of Heart"... a pseudononimous engineering Ph.D. who is currently working as a Congressional Science Fellow.
Emil Chuck

Return to Science Careers Forum