Subscribe

Forum

Past dates on C.V. were... guess-t-mated.

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby J » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:50 pm

Seeking the all knowing Ether?s advice,

Portions of my resume were written years ago when I really wasn't thinking along career lines later in life. When it came to dates of employment, my records were incomplete so, I guess-t-mated some of them. Recently, I undertook trying to track down past employees and/or co-workers in order to identify accurate dates of some past employment experiences.

The question is though, do I go back and inform my past recent employer (no longer working there) and my supervisor personally (no longer worker there too but, thought of as a reference) assuming that they have seen my resume in the past and might recognize the difference? What about changing my on-line resumes? No doubt, someone will notice the few month changes in dates here and there on those files? Do I offer an explanation on those documents too? No tasks or job responsibilities where misleading. But, unfortunately, it appears that a few dates were inaccurate. Suggestions?

Wanting to clean-up my records and conscience and regretting having to do so,
Lab Associate
J

Postby Bill L. » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:17 pm

Hi J,

Your situation is fixable. Why not pull all your old CV's (online and versions you gave to references, etc.) and replace them with the new one. While it might be difficult to hand a new CV to an old employer (what would HR do with it?), you can certainly contact your old supervisor and anyone else serving as a reference, explain your situation and give them a new version. Just be honest and brief in your explanation, as you were here.

Skip any explanation on your new version that you are submitting to say, job boards. If it is ever brought up in an interview, once again, explain your situation honestly and briefly.

Be well,

Bill L. & Naledi S.
Bill L.

Past Dates on C.V.

Postby J » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:25 pm

Thanks Bill and Naledi. Since, for me and what appears to be many in our 'club', truth is held as one of our highest values. I felt awefull for some time now knowing that my resume may not have reflected that same ideal.

Continuing to grow as a Scientist,
J
J

Past Dates on C.V.

Postby Emil Chuck » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:38 pm

Well, as long as you recognize your mistakes now, and not when you're hired much later for a much more important position, like as a football coach. :)

On one of my resumes submitted, I realized I needed to include my participation in a program, but I couldn't remember the dates. So I left them off the application I sent them. I'm not still exactly sure when I participated in that program, but hopefully that won't be so important (since it was a fairly long time ago).
Emil Chuck

Return to Science Careers Forum