Subscribe

Forum

Changing Jobs

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Changing Jobs

Postby A » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:20 am

Here is a question that I am struggling with.

I have been working at a new job for one month now and I really have not been too involved in my only project as of yet. Some preliminary work but nothing too heavy.

A new job (2 available) has been posted at a company that I really want to work at; for a position in which I am more than qualified.

I am under a relocation contract at my current employer for 1 year (prorated) and if I tried to pursue this job I would also need to relocate.

My question is, should I wait the year and hope that then position is still open or a new job is posted, or should I go ahead and try for the position now?
A

Changing Jobs

Postby Andrew » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:22 pm

If you have been 1 month at a new job, you have no business applying for other jobs. You should be out of the job market for at least a year or two. If I got your resume myself, I wouldn't even consider it based on what the mere fact of the application says about your character. Further, Bio/Pharma is a small world and you may want to work for your present company again sometime in the future. If you leave after a couple of months, you will be on the bad list, which may affect you at other companies as well, as recruiters move around too.
Andrew

Changing Jobs

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:23 pm

Hello A,

I would agree with Andrew, that you could seriously burn yourself in this small industry. The only thing you can do now, if you truly don't like your job, is to pay back the company which hired you for all their expenses to date (relocation, bonuses, etc) and leave to start a new job search.

You didn't leave a lot of details about why you would be still looking, after just starting a new job ??? This is very peculiar.

Dave Jensen
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Changing Jobs

Postby K Seth » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:50 pm

.... it also depends upon the job level that you're at. Higher the level you're at, more risk you're taking, in terms of your future in the industry.

Even if you apply for the 2nd job without indicating that you're currently employed, you will have to tell them when you interview- that I doubt will help you getting that job. But if you can't really resist, you can find out who the hiring manager is and talk to him/her directly? (Is this a good idea??)
K Seth

Changing Jobs

Postby MPB » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:38 pm

It depends on your institution. Some places have a very formal structure for post-doc salaries. Year 1 you get X, year 2 you get Y. Other places it's more up to the PI and what you can negotiate.

MPB

Return to Science Careers Forum