Subscribe

Forum

Interview attire?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Interview attire?

Postby K.B. » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:57 am

I am a PhD interviewing for a staff scientist position at a small biotech company in North Carolina. In southern California, dress is super casual for these interviews and I suspect it may be a bit that way at most small biotechs. Does anyone have any insight as to whether this is also the case for small Biotechs in the Research Triangle area of North Carolina? Also, whether yes or no, what would be the most appropriate attire for a guy?
K.B.

Interview attire?

Postby Dave Jensen » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:27 pm

We've discussed this topic before on the forum (try a search for "What to wear" first posted by Kelly Ann on Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:01 PM). However, I live and work in the southern CA/Southwest biotech community, and I can tell you that it would be a huge mistake to appear at an interview in informal attire. Sure, that's the way that the scientists dress for work, but that is NOT what is expected on interview day. Sport coat, nice slacks, etc. -- gets more offers.

I would wear a tie and sport coat in North Carolina as well.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Interview attire?

Postby Andrew » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:04 pm

Actually, I'd wear a suit. Leave your blue blazer and slacks or tweed jackets for your faculty position interviews.
Andrew

Interview attire?

Postby Dave Jensen » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:04 pm

Andrew,

I didn't want to shock the fellow too much . . . But I agree with you.

Andrew's advice is very relevant, as he is in the RTP NC area.

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Interview attire?

Postby Kim » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:41 pm

Can a person get away with just a nice white shirt, a tie and a dress pants without blazer/sport coat/suit in a hot Southern California summer afternoon? Would a sweaty appearance be even worse?
Kim

Interview attire?

Postby Andrew » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:51 pm

I wore a suit to an interview in Louisiana in August some years ago. The trick is to buy cotton, not worsted wool.
Andrew

Return to Science Careers Forum