Subscribe

Forum

Regret not going Ph.D.

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Regret not going Ph.D.

Postby toby » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:08 am

Hi all,

This is a question for those of you who don't have a Ph.D. or have contemplated getting one. Do any of you regret NOT getting the Ph.D.? I often hear the other side of the story, Ph.Ds who regret getting their Ph.D. and some who don't, but would like to hear the otherside. Thanks.

-t
toby

Regret not going Ph.D.

Postby Lora » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:00 am

That's the whole reason I went back for my Ph.D.! I spent several years working with only a B.Sc. and got very frustrated with it. Mostly, I wasn't allowed to make any decisions, and I spent a lot of time watching managers make bad decisions. Whenever I (or the QA people, or the other technicians) explained why we needed to head in a more feasible or, for lack of a better word, *modern* direction, my input was frequently ignored and often patronized because I hadn't got my wings, and I was told so in no uncertain terms. I couldn't move ahead in my field, and lots of jobs in the Midwest make you spend several months, if not years, as a temp before offering a permanent tech/associate position, while Ph.D.s are routinely hired as full-time senior scientists, even if they end up producing very little work and quit or get fired within months. I ended up losing my health insurance after a layoff because all the available jobs were temp-to-perm arrangements with no benefits.

The thing you have to remember is that businesses, like any organism, don't function optimally--they function well enough to get by till the next quarter, the next fiscal year, the next stockholder meeting. Lots of businesses have poor HR practices, and with a B.Sc. you're considered replaceable with a single call to LabSupport. It doesn't matter much what your skills or background are like.

On the up side, no one cared if I worked two jobs. Even working for competitors and subcontractors was permitted at one company I worked for, where part-timers often worked for subcontractors, competitors, and usually for restaurants on the weekends. I was usually allowed to go home (or to my second job) at 5:00. That doesn't sound like much of a privilege, but depending on what the local unemployment rates are, it can be quite a lot: in the town where I did my undergrad degree, there's a 25% unemployment rate and wages are 10% less than they are even an hour's drive away. Imagine being stuck making $8/hour for ten years, and you see what I mean about the importance of having a second job.
Lora

Regret not going Ph.D.

Postby Bill King » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:34 pm

You did not mention your fields.. chemistry perhaps? or microbiology?
Bill King

Return to Science Careers Forum