Subscribe

Forum

How long does it take to find postdoc in Plant Science

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Weronika » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:16 pm

I'm Ph.D student from Europe (from Poland sorry for my English :-) ). I'm going to apply for postdoc position in US or Canada. How long does it take to find a postdoc position in Plant Science. What's the best way to start my search?
Any advice is appreciated
Weronika
Weronika

Postby Kim » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:25 pm

The answer depends on how effective you are in looking for a postdoc postition.

Talk to your PI to see if your PI knows anyone in the US. Does your PI have a collaborator in the US? Have you been reading journal papers in your field? Which paper from the US do you find most interesting? Maybe you can start sending emails to those scientists.
Kim

Postby David » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:07 am

Hi Weronika
I believe the US PIs take on European post-docs either as part of a grant their lab already has (such as a NSF grant) or as an independtly funded fellow. You most probbaly would need to be in contact with a PI before you hear of an opening. So in that case start targeting groups/labs that you like.
Your search will made easier if you can visit the states. For example going to some lab, and buiding relationships there so that you could return for a post-doc.

The best way to get to the states (and hardest way) is to get independent funding such as a Marie Curie Outgoing Fellowship http://europa.eu.int/comm/research/fp6/mariecurie-actions/indexhtm_en.html
Or Life Sciences Research Fellowship
of Human Frontiers in Science Fellowship.

Perhaps the Polish academy has some scheme also for supporting post-docs going abroad. You might also search the EMBO site which may fund trips to the states. (I am working in Finland as a post-doc ans know that Finland

All of these are difficult to get. You chances of getting them are increased if you have the active collaboration of an important PI. This need not be a top Uni. It is just important that the PI is good.

So, research your options for funding from EU, Polish and International sources. Identify labs you like and try to build that all important network.

The more information you have (on grants, possible projects etc) the more inclined a PI will be to respond to your email.

One last thing. You might consider the option of writing a 3 year NSF grant yourself which is submitted by the PI but with you named as 'recognised researcher'. I did this for Harvard and the grant was recomended for funding but knocked back on budgetry grounds. They asked for a resubmisson. To go this route has costs and benefits. You will need two years becuase submisson to rejection letter is 6-8 months and then rallying for a re-submisson will take time. So try to do it at the same time as having something in Europe.
The advantages is that it is an amazing way to build up your network and profile. If you are serious about being an academic then writing grants will be your life until you retire so you may as well get practice early.

best wishes

david
David

Postby David » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:32 am

sorry I missed something...

I should have said...." I am working in Finland as a post-doc ans know that the Finnish Academy funds overseas post-docs."
David

Postby cory » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:25 pm

Look at the website for American Society of Plant Biologists (ASPB). http://www.aspb.org
and click Job Bank. Many postdoctoral positions and choose the one you are interested in and send your resume to the PI.
cory

Postby John_Mastro » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:32 pm

Best to figure on 6 mo to a year of looking. I would join the American Society of Plant Biologists, get the membership directory, (or get one by other means), and carefully go through that as a first list of contacts, make a 2nd list of those where your interests overlap. Start "networking" with those guys via emails letters, and for the chosen few by phone. The best post-doc fits will be found before they are advertized. and if they are advertized you will be already in the PIs mind. The other suggestions above should also be invaluable. Best to have a connection via colleques or bosses.
John_Mastro

Thanks

Postby Weronika » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:39 pm

I appreciate very much all your advice. Wish me luck :-)
Weronika

Return to Science Careers Forum