Subscribe

Forum

How soon is too soon to applly for a job?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby TF » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:52 pm

So I found a potential job that I would be interested in applying for. My question is, is it adviseable to apply for it now?

I am not totally sure when I will be graduating. My boss and I think that this summer is good, but this won't be discussed with my committee until early March.

TF

Postby Andy » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:23 pm

TF,

To me it sounds like you are too early to apply for jobs that would start this summer. Like I think I mentioned before, when people hear that a grad student "think's they'll graduate this summer," they often do the math and figure that person will be done in the fall or December.

Once you set a date to defend your thesis (and have everything else wrapped up), then 90 days before that date is a great time to start applying for jobs.

However, NOW is the time to be making the contacts through which interviews and other positive job search experiences will come.

Good luck,

Andy
Andy

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:34 pm

Andy's advice (as usual) is terrific.

Now is the time to set up a networking database (a big rolodex for all the info you are going to pull in on companies and people!) as well as start asking "Who do you know?" of your colleagues, etc.

Companies can't seem to see beyond two or three months. They know they have an open position now, and it is a real pain in the butt, etc, but they can't figure out what they're going to need in December.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Kevin Foley » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:51 pm

FYI, if you accept a job offer, most companies will expect you to start work within two weeks. Obviously there are exceptions (once I was able to negotiate a 2 month delay), but this time frame is typical. So there is no point in applying for industry jobs too far in advance, unless you think they will be desperate to get you.

Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin Foley

Return to Science Careers Forum