Subscribe

Forum

grad school apps

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

grad school apps

Postby TF » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:34 pm

So essentially it would be ultimately better to wait and apply for a research based national fellowship, unless NSF and HHMI allows you to apply for these as well (which would be great!). I mean sure it would look great to potential school to have your own funding, but the other type of grant is basically getting one prepared to become an actual scientist, having to justify one's own experiments.

How do the stipends work, are they kept at the same level as what the school offers, or are you given a little more? So what generally is the purpose of the HHMI and NSF grants if they don't actually have a research componant? Is it really just something that dresses up your applications?
TF

grad school apps

Postby Shawn » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 pm

TF,

Usually a school will give you an increase over the amount you recieve. (ie if the fellowship is 25,000 you will get that plus X)

Also I believe HHMI has pulled the plug on its predoctoral training fellowships for individuals.
Shawn

grad school apps

Postby Doug » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:42 pm

I know at least one school that, if an NSF predoc was awarded, the school did not match the disparity (i.e., non-NSF-funded students were not getting paid as much as NSF-funded students), creating a monetary disincentive to apply for these. Don't know if that's still the case. Given that the NSF predoc is >$25k now (I think this is correct), that's pretty good money, especially if you're not in a big city. I think having a predoc MAY also help when you apply for graduate research money (DDIGs, etc.) There are other grants that have research money on top of stipend money (EPA STAR, for instance, but those are more environmental/ecology, and who knows, maybe they'll get axed again like they did a few years ago).
Doug

grad school apps

Postby TF » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:49 pm

Wow, 25 large!

That's almost rolling in it in grad student terms! I thought I was making out well with the NIH stipend which is a bit more than what my school pays. Maybe I should have applied for the NSF instead. I could REALLY use an extra thousand, or two or three! I should look into this for my own knowledge.
TF

grad school apps

Postby TF » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:05 pm

So I went to the NSF site and found what I think is the correct fellowship, The Graduate Research Fellowship Program. It is a pretty impressive award as far as the stipend in concerned, $30k/yr! It's interesting how they find the funding for this while the NIH and the general grad school stipends are generally nowhere near this level! Plus there is a 10.5k educational allowance. Not a bad financial deal at all.

What is pretty cool at least to a doctoral student anyway, is that funding is only for 3 yrs, so technically, there is still usually time to apply for some of the more research based grants, though they won't be funded nearly as well. I wonder why the NSF doesn't have a specific predoctoral fellowship, that covers the research years? In any case, definitely sounds like a worthy award to aim for, especially if you have awesome grades and GRE scores.
TF

grad school apps

Postby Doug » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:06 pm

TF--
NSF also has its Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant, which usually run ~10-12k for nothing but research. I believe you need to be officially a candidate, which means generally 3rd year or beyond. Usually, these are more competitive than the predocs. I'm amazed that your university and your department doesn't have a program in place to inform the grad students of these funding sources. For all the soon-to-be and newer grad students, look into every funding source you can find! Consider it part of the job of being a grad student.

Not to make this forum focus on grad students or anything...back to career talk?
Doug

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum