Subscribe

Forum

non-traditional careers

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Question on being a USPTO examiner

Postby J.J. » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:18 am

My understanding is that having an inside connection will speed your application through the pile. However, this is only true if the USPTO is in an active hiring mode in your technology group. I have a friend who was recently offered a position, but she routed her resume through a patent examiner friend. I think the biotechnology art groups are currently hiring. A PhD is not yet an absolute requirement, although the precentage of PhD hires is increasing every year.
Just a side note: if you are someone who is not a native English speaker, working at the PTO is a great way to break into the field. Because of the high caliber of applicants for scientific advisor positions, people who do not have strong English language skills will be at a disadvantage for getting hired. Right or wrong-that's just the situation. However, one way to overcome the language problem is a few years at the PTO.
J.J.

Question on being a USPTO examiner

Postby Pedro » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:20 am

Thanks for everyones' input. It will help out tremendously, I truly believe it. I apologize to prolong the discussion on this topic but I have one more questions about USPTO. Are they more friendly, in terms of hiring, toward BS and MS graduates than PhDs'? Or there are preference in the hiring mentality. It seems from the previous posts that PhDs' tend to have a much more difficult time being hired at the PTO or at least getting some sort of feed back from them. Thank you all for your input.
Pedro

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum