Subscribe

Forum

Life with a B.S. in Biology

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby stacey » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:56 am

In about 12-18 months, I am scheduled to loose my job with a beverage manufacturing plant. I have a B.S in Biology and have a great deal of experience in Micro and Sanitation.
Can you please tell me if there is any "hope" for me in another career? I would like to go into research but do not know "where" to start looking for jobs. I live in the Memphis Tn.

Thank you in advance for any advice..
sb
stacey

Postby Kathy » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:31 am

With a BS you should be able to get an academic research position quite easilly, even if you have little research experience.

Since you're in Memphis, consider a job at St. Judes - very highly regarded in biomedical research. You should be able to get a research assistant position. Take a look at their Careers website. http://www.stjude.org/

You can also look at positions at any of the medical schools or universities in the area. The University of Memphis comes to mind. Is there also a University of Tennessee, Memphis branch?
Kathy

Postby Shawn » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:16 pm

"Is there also a University of Tennessee, Memphis branch"

UT's med school is in Memphis along with its biomedical research Ph.D programs
Shawn

Return to Science Careers Forum