Subscribe

Forum

Career Options

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Career Options

Postby Hugo R. » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:28 pm

I apologize for posting so many messages recently, but I am getting a bit frustrated with my career direction and would like some advice from the community.

Some background:
I have a BS + MS in Biology (Neuroscience).

I have just over 4 years of experience in the Medical Device industry as a engineer with some FDA/Clinical Trials experience.

I made a career change to Management Consulting 4 years ago.

I spent the first 2 years working in Europe advising clients from various industries on globalization/outsourcing/emerging geographies type projects.

2 years ago I switched to more general business strategy type consulting. I've been working on projects like post-merger integration, organizational restructuring, IT strategy, etc. Again working across all industries and not just Life Sciences.

At this point I am a bit tired of business consulting and finding it not to be my strength anyways. (too many high pressure clients, too long hours, poorly conceived projects etc.)

I'd like to return to the Life Sciences, but with an international business or other business type twist to it.

Any ideas on career paths to look into? I feel like I have good experience, but would like to find someway to put it all together.

Hugo R.

Return to Science Careers Forum