Subscribe

Forum

Learning to run Cancer Clinical Trials article on Sci Careers website

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Learning to run Cancer Clinical Trials article on Sci Careers website

Postby D.X. » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:25 am

Hi all,

just wanted to direct attention to the "running Cancer Clinical Trials" article on Science Careers page.

They refer to a couple courses there on how to write protocols and execute phase II and phase III studies. I think this is important to for those considering more clinically-oriented careers and are looking for formal training. They refer to a Cancer setting here, but the fundamentals are the same accross indications.

In my job, I review and approve from a Medical Affairs perspective phase II through phase IV protocols, I have never had formal training on this, so I've learned via experience, I still have many gaps in my knowledge. Something like this would be valueable to me (despite my current job function) and thus I would expect be valueable to others. I have only been trained in Good Clinical Practice (ICH-GCP) which is mandatory in all companies.

I'm not sure if these courses described in these articles are available to non-physicians, but do consider many non-physicians are involved in the protocol writing process and alot of Ph.D.s work in Clinical Development in Pharma.

Not only that, but I think these courses appear to give insight into the logistical needs of running a trial (sample size determination, blood sample handling, resources, ethicial sign-offs etc.) which is something, I am still getting a grasp on (usually I handling by asking the submitting Country Medical Directors to explain how all the resources are provided for etc.). Once I think everything is accounted for I give my MA sign-off, I let the guys/girls in Clinical Development and Operations fight over the nitty gritty.

So, anyway, I point to this as to what I think is a great "formal" education opportunity that one may wish to investigate at their respective universities for those who have interest in developing some clinical accumen (especially as it relates to end-point determination etc). Perhaps its part of a course to residents? Maybe you can get your deans to get you access to something like this as part of your individual development/interest area.

Anyway, thought it was interesting and worth attention.

Good luck!
D.X.

Return to Science Careers Forum