Subscribe

Forum

Postdoc offer

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postdoc offer

Postby AKG » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:07 pm

Hello all,

How long can professors take to make an official offer? I had interviewed for a postdoctoral position at UC in early July and was offered the position at the end of the interview (verbally). I tried to contact the professor again and was told that he's pushing the paperwork needed to make the offer.

Should I be skeptical about if he's eventually going to send an offer letter? Do professors in such cases tend to interview other candidates? Can being an international delay the paperwork process in general ?
AKG

Postdoc offer

Postby ADM » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:14 pm

I do not think that you need to worry about it. Paperwork takes time and the movement (quick or slow) is not always under the control of the PI. In my case, I was offered the position in late November but the official letter did not arrive until Feb. They might even ask you to defend your dissertation before sending the letter (happened in my case). Just to be sure, contact the administrative staff of the department you are accepted in asking if any information is required from your side. Their answer should assure you.
Congratulations for the offer
ADM

Postdoc offer

Postby Ana » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:07 am

I vote for administrators on holidays as the potential reason for the delay.
Ana

Postdoc offer

Postby AKG » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:47 am

@ ADM So you believe that a offer given verbally stands tall and is not going anywhere? My current advisor does not think that way? His opinion is that he's stalled me by giving the offer and still interviewing other candidates.
AKG

Postdoc offer

Postby Rick Willis » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:56 am

Early July would be a month ago. I'm unfortunately not surprised that the paperwork would take that long, or longer, depending on the institution. Don't get worried, yet.
Rick
Rick Willis

Postdoc offer

Postby ADM » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:33 pm

@AKG: I would suggest just email him thanking for the offer and asking about if you need to contact someone (if that would speed up the process) or you would like the offer letter to decide on you defense date. A reply form him should mention that he is working on getting the paperwork and all. This way you would have some sort of assurance
PS: I know its easy to give advice and reassurance. I was also tensed as hell till I received a official letter inspite of our (postdoc mentor and I) communication via e-mail. All the best.
ADM

Postdoc offer

Postby Andrew1 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:14 am

There are various steps to go through. The hire needs to be approved at department and possibly also school level. Then it would go to the university international office to check everything is in line for a visa. As Ana said, this time of year is particularly difficult because many people are on vacation.
Andrew1

Postdoc offer

Postby AKG » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:06 am

@Andrew1 Does the visa issue taken into consideration even before the offer is accepted?
AKG

Postdoc offer

Postby Evelyn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:59 pm

Does it matter? If it is a legitimate bureaucratic holdup then you will eventually get the letter. But as with all things, there is the potential that some other problem will arise and the position will not be approved. You have to keep looking just in case. When you have another offer in hand (verbal or in letter form) then you can go back to the first PI, tell them you have another offer and would like to know where his offer stands. If you prefer his lab then I guarantee he will push it through rather than lose you.

In either case, don't sit around waiting for an offer that might not come. Keep looking, who knows, maybe you will find a better lab!
Evelyn

Postdoc offer

Postby AKG » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:32 pm

@ Evylyn - Thanks for the suggestions. I am actually following the same. I have another interview lined up.
AKG

Next

Return to Science Careers Forum