Subscribe

Forum

Career path for Research Associate Non Clinical

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Career path for Research Associate Non Clinical

Postby PMP » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:39 am

I have completed MPH and have been working as Research Associate Non Clinical in a academic setting since last 2 years. I want to move out of this job and I see a lot of opening as research coordinator. I'm not sure if research coordinator is higher or lower than my current designation. I want to move to higher designation. Please suggest.
PMP

Re: Career path for Research Associate Non Clinical

Postby D.X. » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:27 am

Hi PMP,

Your post makes no sense. If its a title upgrade you're looking for in your institution, then you need to look at the job grading within your institution - stop by your Human Resources department to get this grading or talk to your boss.

If its a shift in focus you're looking for to leverage the MPH, (again you are NOT clear here), then titles that's higher or lower than your current title in terms of job level grading is irrelevant. Most who do a subject area shift take either a lateral move or down grade by job title - in very few cases is it an job title up grade. The key interest you should have is to make the change that both interests you and that will take you on the career development path you want to be on.

Good luck,

DX
D.X.

Postby PMP » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:41 pm

Thanks DX for your response.

I did look at my institution for career path for Research Associate designation. They do not seem to have any definitive path as Research Associates mostly are hired for research projects on temporary/contract basis and are released as soon as the research project completes. Given this situation, they are mostly at the mercy of PIs and PIs normally do not retain their employees if they do not get funding.

I want to be in research field only but do not want to downgrade my designation/salary. I want to grow in research field to ultimately manage multiple research projects/ head research programs. Given just 2 years of experience, I do not qualify for research program jobs. However, I see a lot of job opening as research coordinators so wanted your feedback.
PMP

Postby D.X. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:43 am

Hi -

Ok then if you are in an academic setting, a research coordinator is still under the PI - in general at the mercy of the PI's funding. At least this is the case in general for the U.S. This applies both clinic and non-clinic positions.

You are still not clear on what mean by "manage" research projects/head research programs. Is this at the level of running your own lab? Or is this at the level of Project Management/Administration (non-PI; usually linked to the Office of Research who do things like coordinate IRBs, Grants Management, liaison with research funding supporters and research sponsors during clinical trial activation and conduct, (budgeting and sourcing, Program development with various Departments etc.)

In the latter case you are then a University Employee with no research based activities. Usually no academic appointment. Just administration serving the PIs/Departments while meeting the University or School's Research/Funding objectives. (which is a nice job path actually, I don't mean to minimize it).

So you're not clear here.

DX
D.X.

Postby PMP » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:55 pm

I perform both research and Project management duties for the grant that I was hired for. My work is all around the research grant and nothing else. I do not belong to research office and do not perform any such duties. You can say that I am one of the lab members working full-time on the grant.

I am project management certified and would like to climb higher in my career in management/administration of grants areas. So how can I grow in my career and what type of jobs should I apply ?

PMP
PMP

Postby D.X. » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:08 am

PMP wrote:
I am project management certified and would like to climb higher in my career in management/administration of grants areas. So how can I grow in my career and what type of jobs should I apply ?

PMP

Ok, you answered your own question. I recommend you stop off at your Office of Research or Grants Administration as assess the opportunities there. As for an informal interview to perhaps learn more about where you can go.

As you grow, you can examine other career settings - check out the various NIH agencies, as well as the non-profit research foundations - the latter who both receive and deliver supporting grants. In the US, pharma companies have a separate Grants Administrations offices, especially managing CME education donations and in some cases company non-sponsored research grants which can be managed by the same office. (Non-sponsored in terms of the ICH GCP definition of a trial sponsor in terms trial administration/responsibilities).

Good luck - Project management and coordination is key here, so seems like a good match if you like this.

DX
D.X.

Postby PMP » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 am

Thanks DX for your guidance. I'm an international candidate so it's hard to get my foot into the door but will surely will follow your suggestions and look around.
PMP

Return to Science Careers Forum