Subscribe

Forum

Question regarding postdoc interview presentation- results really matter?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Question regarding postdoc interview presentation- results really matter?

Postby SHM » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:55 am

Hai all,

I am currently doing my postdoc and contract is going to finish soon.
I am looking forward for a postdoc interview next week. I need to give a power point presentation there about my previous research. I got my own research grant from my current University, but unfortunately the work is stuck due to some technical issues.
The research what I wanted to include in the interview presentation (I believe it will be a hot topic for the interviewers)is about the funded project. But the problem what I think is, there are no results. The project itself is a good one, but does it make sense to present a research with out showing results, data..? I do have other data to show from my PhD topic.. Please let me know how can I deal this situation ?
SHM

Re: Question regarding postdoc interview presentation- results really matter?

Postby PACN » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:38 am

If I were hiring a postdoc, it would be a red flag for me to see a presentation without any actual results. Good ideas are important, but so is the ability to see the ideas through to results. I would put together a hybrid presentation-- show some of your PhD work and try to transition into what you are working on as a postdoc. If you haven't been working on the project long, you can present it as a new direction for your work. If you have been working on it for a while and don't have any results to show for it, be prepared to explain why.
PACN

Postby Craig B. » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:12 pm

Considering that faculty interviews generally are comprised of a formal research talk and an informal chalk/"ideas" talk, I don't think it's inappropriate to talk about your funded project. As PACN said, strike a balance between showing more polished results from other projects and your original ideas.

Did you do any work on your funded project before you ran into technical trouble? Discussing the work that you were able to complete, even if not a publishable story, and how you would troubleshoot your current roadblock may provide your potential new PI useful insight into how capable you are.
Craig B.

Postby John D. D, » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:00 am

I think you have 2 possible directions to go.
1) Heavy-handed theory (developed by you) and/or design, 4/5 of the presentation, 1/5 SOMETHING (even if you pull it together in 1 month).
2) One month of research on a question that currently interests them, where you actually produce a result and answer for them. You then say,
implicitly, although my post-doc research is stuck exactly at point A, this is what I can do for your project.
John D. D,

Postby SHM » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:19 am

Thanks everyone for your ideas.
SHM

Return to Science Careers Forum