Question about industry job offers

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: Question about industry job offers

Postby Ana » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:00 pm

Great feedback M.W.S !

My experience when transitioning from postdoc to industry scientist was exactly the same: networking was key, and the interview process had 3 steps exactly as you described.

Postby Dick Woodward » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:22 am

I agree with Ana - feedback like this is important, as we still have a number of readers who doubt (or at least downplay) the value of networking. Please keep us posted as to how things are progressing.

Dick Woodward

Postby D.X. » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:33 am

Just a brief note - but I'm at a stage in my career - about 10 years from the finishing school where I see most folks (90%) around me are getting their jobs by Networking. They are hooked in by a referral from an employee or they are known by the hiring manager from a prior role or contact. As one advances in career - its about the network coupled to a positive reputation/knowledge base and established professional credibility (i.e. your brand). In recent interviews (as the interviewer) the most favorable candidates who received an offer were the ones who had an internal point of reference who could speak to the candidates strengths/performance contrast to the "unknowns" - despite good and competitive profiles.

Good luck!

EDIT: and this is not about the dumb statement of "its who you know not what you know". Let's not open that useless debate.

Postby A. Wyzandrea » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:48 pm

Go to the position A is your choice. You should value the first one which comes to you, or you can't decide if there is a position C.
A. Wyzandrea

Return to Science Careers Forum