Subscribe

Forum

Be so careful when filling out applications to order Education correctly

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Be so careful when filling out applications to order Education correctly

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:45 pm

We've discovered in new recruitment software (stuff that everyone uses, in both employers and in recruiting firms) and in web portal upload tools, that CV's must have their education listed in a uniform manner. You need to pay attention to this. Here's what happens if you don't . . .

We had an applicant get a "turn down" letter because the CV he sent was imported into our database and it said MS degree and BS degree, and this was a PhD position. He was upset when he got my email that we would not consider a MS candidate for a PhD posting.

He sent me an emailed copy of his CV once again, and before I imported it into our database, I looked closely. He had the PhD sandwiched in between the MS at the top, and the BS at the bottom for some reason (because he did both the MS and the PhD in the same lab). The software will screen out the middle degree, and only show the MS and the BS. That's because it's looking for the natural progression of BS, MS and PhD.

It's important to note these kinds of odd requirements and not to make your CV too different. This guy was wondering why no one was responding positively to his job applications.

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Re: Be so careful when filling out applications to order Education correctly

Postby John D. D, » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:59 pm

It's important to transcend forms as a means of communication. Especially for nonconformists!
John D. D,

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:38 pm

John D. D, wrote:It's important to transcend forms as a means of communication. Especially for nonconformists!

We're not talking about forms here, but about the wording on a PDF or WORD file submitted as a CV for a position,

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Nate W. » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:51 pm

Dave Jensen wrote: The software will screen out the middle degree, and only show the MS and the BS. That's because it's looking for the natural progression of BS, MS and PhD.

It's important to note these kinds of odd requirements and not to make your CV too different. This guy was wondering why no one was responding positively to his job applications.

Dave

Dave, this is why a human should actually read the resume not a robot. Jeez, these silly HR recruiting algorithms. Wondering what would happen if one listed their degrees in descending: PhD, MS, and BS.
Nate W.

Postby MAP » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:14 pm

Happened to me recently, but I did realise it was all wrong. Years, degrees... I was wondering why it happened, because usually these softwares are good
MAP

Return to Science Careers Forum