Subscribe

Forum

Tips for CV organization of conferences field

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Tips for CV organization of conferences field

Postby Martin V. » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:08 am

I am a freshly graduated engineering student and am currently writing my first CV. At the end of my studies I attended one conference as a research paper author and another one as a guest lecturer on the same topic as the previous conference. I suppose both are important to be included in a CV, but I am not sure how to classify both as they are not the same activities (guest lecturer and paper presentation). Also I wanted to know if I can include in advance another conference where I am presenting as a research author in approximately one month.
Thank you in advance for the help.
Martin V.

Re: Tips for CV organization of conferences field

Postby BMK » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:44 am

MartinV279 wrote:I am a freshly graduated engineering student and am currently writing my first CV. At the end of my studies I attended one conference as a research paper author and another one as a guest lecturer on the same topic as the previous conference. I suppose both are important to be included in a CV, but I am not sure how to classify both as they are not the same activities (guest lecturer and paper presentation). Also I wanted to know if I can include in advance another conference where I am presenting as a research author in approximately one month.
Thank you in advance for the help.

Engineering is fairly broad, so there may be discipline specific nuances, but in my BME/CS/ECE slice of the world, guest lectures are equivalent to invited talks, and often there listed right before papers. From what I've seen in many professors CVs and been advised myself is that your bibliography should the last section (with a section heading to the effect of "Publications and Presentations") with subheadings in hierarchical order of importance (again in relation to the subfield). They are often
1. Invited Talks/Guest Lectures*
2. Invited Editorials
3. Peer-reviewed publications
4. Conference proceedings (full length, 4+ page papers presented at conferences), note if presenting author
5. Conference abstracts (The 1-2 page dealies), note if presenting author

If any win awards, note them. Skip sub-sections that don't apply. Bold your name in the author list
*Once you have more than a handful of these, then this section can break-off under a new heading

Lastly, it's perfectly fine to list anything that's been formally accepted, just instead of a full citation, give a partial one and end it with "(Accepted)".
BMK

Postby Martin V. » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:11 am

Thank you very much! This is exactly what I was looking for, along with a broad explanation.
Martin V.

Postby BMK » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:03 am

Glad to help!
BMK

Return to Science Careers Forum