Subscribe

Forum

Can online certification programs help a PhD immunology?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Can online certification programs help a PhD immunology?

Postby SHT » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:01 pm

HI all,

I would like to know, for a PhD (immunology) with 3 years of postdoctoral experience (Immunology), how helpful can online certification programs like following be, to find a job in industry? Such as,

Pharmaceuticals and Clinical Trials Management
CERTIFICATE IN BASIC PHARMACEUTICAL DEVELOPMENT
Certificate in Pharmaceutical Management
Executive Certificate in the Business of Life Sciences, etc.

I have seen many of these programs are online format and are offered by very reputed universities in US, like John Hopkins, University of Washington, Temple, NJIT, UC Berkeley etc.

Your comments would be a great help.

Thanks!
SHT

Re: Can online certification programs help a PhD immunology?

Postby PG » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:53 am

My personal view is that these certificates can serve two good purposes. The first is that it shows interest in a particular area and the other is that they sometimes can be very useful when taken as a part of an internal development program ie if you already have a job and agree with the company that you work for that you should develop yourself towards doing somethuign new or taking a bigger responsibility in a certain area.

I am not convinced that this show of interest makes a huge difference when applying for an entry level position in industry. It may of course be the thing that sets you apart from other applicants but I wouldnt see it as a big thing and am hesitant if it is worth the investment ( I am assuming that they are rather costly)
PG

Return to Science Careers Forum