Subscribe

Forum

The one issue running through the "job search difficulties" Forum posts

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: The one issue running through the "job search difficulties" Forum posts

Postby Ana » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:49 am

Nate W. wrote:How would you address this objective if it was raised by a VP of Sales with a traditional pharma sales background (not a scientist)?

I am interviewing for a MSL position (note: this is not a pharma company and they don't have a medical affairs department) and have been asked to met with the VP of Sales.

Nate, if the customer you will have in front of you is a PhD or MD, coming from a science background vs coming from sales means credibility. And credibility is crucial to make any sale, even to open the doors that will enable you to talk to the people in the first place.
Ana

Postby Parker » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:01 am

I think most people's difficulties with the job search process stem from the fact that you come out of academia not knowing what challenges lie ahead out in the real world. Not everyone develops an attitude problem, but most people have problems with the job search because they don't expect it to be this hard. In academia you get the message that while industry pays more, industry jobs are for "losers" because they are easy to land. That's where that entitled attitude comes from. That's certainly the message I got from my academic professors i.e. if you don't make it in academia as a professor, that's no problem at all. Just go into biotech and there will be a high paying job waiting for you and it will be so easy and it's all roses and rainbows. They don't realize how competitive industry jobs are and that employers are always looking for a specific set of skills and particular background that you don't have because you spent all your time developing academically relevant skills. The assumption is that you will walk in with your shiny new PhD and everyone will love you because you are so smart and will be willing to pay you a ton of money for it. When I was going through this transition, I tried very hard to make my advisor realize that it's not so easy. I think that now she recognizes that industry is not for losers and the less gifted but I don't think she is still very informed as to the particular challenges involved in a job search. And you can't fault the professors. Probably that's how things were when they were in grad school.
Last edited by Parker on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Parker

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:29 pm

Great comments, Parker. I certainly agree with much of your post

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:29 pm

Great comments, Parker. I certainly agree with much of your post

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby P.C. » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:41 pm

I agree with Parker, and suggest that a lot of aggrieved, did not or do not understand, the long lag time and planning time needed to transition from an academic culture to a sales, or government or law or industry job/culture. They say 80 to 90 percent of the graduate students must find work outside of academia. I want to do a bit of griping and blaming. Academic professors and institutions historically on the aggregate have done a horrible job getting with the reality that most of their students are not going into academia.
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain
P.C.

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum